How Has Electronic Logging Changed the Trucking Industry?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I left expediting in 2013 to pursue a non-trucking business opportunity. While we're out, we remain interested in trucking. ELDs were just starting to appear in expediting as we got out. Now that they are mandated industry-wide, I'm just curious. How has electronic logging changed the trucking industry?

I ask out of simple curiosity. We had our opinions in 2013. It would be interesting to hear what the real effects of this applied technology turned out to be.

A bedbugger recently told me that he was getting used to his new ELD and that rates have gone up because of these devices. Land Line magazine is reporting that driver frustration with these devices and the current HOS rules is critically high. What is your experience? What are your observations about ELDs and expediting, and trucking overall?

With ELDs now in universal use, is it safer to drive a truck, more dangerous or about the same? What about productivity? Have ELDs increased revenue, decreased it or left it about the same?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’m retired like Phil.
What my active friends are telling me is rates are up and time between runs are decreasing to non existent.
Reefers are at a premium .
So are teams.
Parking is harder to find, earlier in the day, than in the past.
A friend at Landstar said they want every AA& E team they can find and they’re pushing harder than ever for reefers.

Reactions: DollarSign

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since the HOS have not changed, from a T/T perspective, The curtain has been drawn back exposing, or now with ELD's correcting, the amount of log fudging creating a greater capacity shortage. Shippers are starting to catch on that they can not hold up a truck for hours loading and still expect the driver to "make up" for lost time. But that's a work in progress. The spot market rates are at a all time high and continue to climb. Brokers are screaming for trucks. Demand is very high. As far as safety, too early to tell with measurable results. It would seem on paper that having mostly everyone now following the HOS rules, it would benefit safety in the long run. But with some drivers racing around to avoid running out of hours, that may off set any perceived gains.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With demand high, how much have rates increased? Ten cents a mile? Twenty? More?

Now days, for a straight truck, what's a good rate on a good run? I don't mean the occasional, cake-frosting loads that make you cheer. I mean the bread-and-butter load offers that are good enough to get you to move.

In our time reefer loads paid more. Is that still the case? Has the dry box/reefer differential changed much in the last five years?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With demand high, how much have rates increased? Ten cents a mile? Twenty? More?

Now days, for a straight truck, what's a good rate on a good run? I don't mean the occasional, cake-frosting loads that make you cheer. I mean the bread-and-butter load offers that are good enough to get you to move.

In our time reefer loads paid more. Is that still the case? Has the dry box/reefer differential changed much in the last five years?
Solo. Straight truck. Liftgate. Dry box. @ Landstar. My revenue is up 30% over this time last year. I have to turn down more loads than are offered. Also have to take time off rather wait for a lull, as there haven't been many.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just read a FB post where driver was bragging about just finishing a 1700 mile non-stop (solo) from TX to MI, took a short nap and now heading out on another 700. Also read about a family of 5 killed in DE where a PU crossed the median (no mention of sleep deprivation involved) BUT a van can be a deadly as a big truck. Solos that run like this guy are why we need ELD's too. Unfortunately, we (vanners) can't self regulate.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just read a FB post where driver was bragging about just finishing a 1700 mile non-stop (solo) from TX to MI, took a short nap and now heading out on another 700. Also read about a family of 5 killed in DE where a PU crossed the median (no mention of sleep deprivation involved) BUT a van can be a deadly as a big truck. Solos that run like this guy are why we need ELD's too. Unfortunately, we (vanners) can't self regulate.

No one is stopping you or your company from installing ELD’s in your van. Or sign on with Panther and they’ll happily babysit you.
But your empirical evidence that us vanners are baby killers based on a FB post and an F150 accident is ridiculous.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
No one is stopping you or your company from installing ELD’s in your van. Or sign on with Panther and they’ll happily babysit you.
But your empirical evidence that us vanners are baby killers based on a FB post and an F150 accident is ridiculous.
Empirical evidence? So, if YOU act responsible, everyone else will? The point was (A) vans are as dangerous as any other vehicle, and, (B) too many vanners push the envelope too far, too often!

Reactions: ntimevan

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WOM, how many loads have you delivered because your transit time was faster than a straight? Coast to coast?! LA to Miami ... woo woo! It's the segment of the marketplace we work in. Imo ELDs will not happen for vans.

The initial post is a pertinent question. I'd like to hear what the big guys are experiencing ...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Empirical evidence? So, if YOU act responsible, everyone else will? The point was (A) vans are as dangerous as any other vehicle, and, (B) too many vanners push the envelope too far, too often!

You said “we” vanners can’t self regulate. I do act responsibly. Does everyone? Of course not. Does everyone act irresponsibly? Of course not.
I’d argue that texting and playing on phones is 100’s of times the problem to public safety than tired drivers are.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The question begs to be asked, so i will ask it. Since you are a team (and btw eld’s wouldn’t hurt you at all) would you feel the same way if you were a solo? I felt the same way at one time but not with installing ELD’s though.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am a non ELD unit....

To Phil's original question.....rates are up. The linehaul rate too....not just the final rate that also has gone up with higher fuel prices. Rates go up when capacity is tight. Yes the economy is booming but we've had booms before and rates didn't move this much. Some are capitalizing on it others (especially in the van world) aren't. They can adjust to the higher demand by flogging thier non regulated drivers like rented mules....you can't do that now with ELD trucks who could "fudge" paper logs before. I also think a lot of the capacity tightening is shippers and mostly dispatchers at a LOT of places haven't figured out how to operate in the new ELD world. Early adoption carriers aren't crying over it all, they are capitalizing on it!

Also, the notion that a van is just as "dangerous" as a tractor trailer is ludicrous. Are there irresponsible vanners out there....sure. Will a van cause the same amount of carnage if the driver falls asleep......absolutely not. As one of "we" vanners I do self regulate....all one needs to do is look at my yearly gross to see it. It's why I stay with L1 because if I want to make 20% more gross....I dont want to have to run 60% more miles to do it. The guys running around bragging about making $120k + but are running for 80 cents or less....there is your irresponsible one.....and I am not a "we" in that club and never will be. Would I run an ELD if I had to? Sure would...and my rates would go up accordingly and my dispatch team would have to adjust as to how they treat me.