How Has Electronic Logging Changed the Trucking Industry?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Grizz - only solo for a few weeks. My #1 concern is safety, #2 is thinning the heard by handcuffing the cheaters and #3 is greed, but not as a solo, as a team that loses mid-week 1600+ mile runs for direct deliveries to solos that push the envelope. I have no problem, BTW, with drivers/carriers that can lock in a couple extra hours so they can get a "decent" nap and drive safely.

But again, this is not about me, it's meant as a dialogue on if this is one way to protect the future of vanners for the serious 40 & 50 year olds that may not be able to reap the benefits that (we) 60 & 70 year olds have in the past.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Grizz - only solo for a few weeks. My #1 concern is safety, #2 is thinning the heard by handcuffing the cheaters and #3 is greed, but not as a solo, as a team that loses mid-week 1600+ mile runs for direct deliveries to solos that push the envelope. I have no problem, BTW, with drivers/carriers that can lock in a couple extra hours so they can get a "decent" nap and drive safely.

But again, this is not about me, it's meant as a dialogue on if this is one way to protect the future of vanners for the serious 40 & 50 year olds that may not be able to reap the benefits that (we) 60 & 70 year olds have in the past.

WOM, I appreciate the reply. Since we're speaking frankly, here's a few more thoughts ...

I understood that you're only solo for a short period of time. Who knows what would happen to you without the Boss around. :p:D

The solo operators you're referring to are NOT cheating ... not technically. They are operating within the current framework. I personally have noooo problem taking those loads from you or anybody else. I have done many 1,000+ mi runs and there isn't a single company, large or small, that won't book them for a solo ... NOT ONE. Do larger companies have a preference on those loads? Sure, if a team is available they'll book them ... but if not, and that load needs to be covered ... the solo is getting it! They are not currently breaking any rules or laws.

I appreciate the paternal position you're taking. So now let's see if you can answer this question. It matters .... because it shows what GREED can actually do.

In 6+ years on the road how many loads have I handled that were booked at more than 45 mph? NONE, ZERO ... I've been in the undesirable position of being pressed on that issue and I've stood firm as a mule.

Now you're turn ....
How many loads have you ever delivered that were booked at more than 45 mph? Team or solo ... doesn't matter ... how many?

You can use someone else's fingers and toes if needed ...

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A team in a high top van can offer the fastest transit time available. There isn't a vehicle operating that can touch them!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A team in a high top van can offer the fastest transit time available. There isn't a vehicle operating that can touch them!
Excuse me , but AIRPLANES do it Daily..

Common Sense doesn't come with Directions

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some runs Zorry ‘s Volvo might beat them.
225 gallons of fuel at 10 mpg.
He often would run 8 hours and then swap drivers to avoid the 30 minute break.
You can only do it once.
He considered running with 2 females.

That had its own set of problems.

Reactions: coalminer

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My point is that actions contribute more to this issue than getting on here and spouting off about greed, safety or whatever else.

WOM, care to answer the question directly? Ya see, you actually contribute to this issue .... even though you don't think so.

Reactions: VSprinter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

WOM, I appreciate the reply. Since we're speaking frankly, here's a few more thoughts ...

I understood that you're only solo for a short period of time. Who knows what would happen to you without the Boss around. :p:D

The solo operators you're referring to are NOT cheating ... not technically. They are operating within the current framework. I personally have noooo problem taking those loads from you or anybody else. I have done many 1,000+ mi runs and there isn't a single company, large or small, that won't book them for a solo ... NOT ONE. Do larger companies have a preference on those loads? Sure, if a team is available they'll book them ... but if not, and that load needs to be covered ... the solo is getting it! They are not currently breaking any rules or laws.

I appreciate the paternal position you're taking. So now let's see if you can answer this question. It matters .... because it shows what GREED can actually do.

In 6+ years on the road how many loads have I handled that were booked at more than 45 mph? NONE, ZERO ... I've been in the undesirable position of being pressed on that issue and I've stood firm as a mule.

Now you're turn ....
How many loads have you ever delivered that were booked at more than 45 mph? Team or solo ... doesn't matter ... how many?

You can use someone else's fingers and toes if needed ...
I am thinking every Fedex CC load I’ve run ..I don’t have a number but I know they calculate at about 45 mph and that calculate to the minute!
Like delivery time is 17:42. Sheesh

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Grizzly
I know what ya mean in the flip side of the coin of this issue
Nothing illegal is really being done.
BUT
In a civil court I wonder what a jury would award if one had an accident after 23 hrs behind the wheel?
Gross negligence?
I’ve done many 1,000 mike plus loads as a single and many I was brain dead pretty much at the end.

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Grizzly
BUT
In a civil court I wonder what a jury would award if one had an accident after 23 hrs behind the wheel?
Gross negligence?
I’ve done many 1,000 mike plus loads as a single and many I was brain dead pretty much at the end.

Before I started running legal, as a dumb, hungry young guy, I did a few 20 + shifts where I felt brain dead as soon as I accepted the Load.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Grizzly
BUT
Gross negligence?
Thanks, that is partially because my point.

Grizz, note that way back in this thread I stated that I had no problem with solos taking long runs IF, IF they are given time for proper rest. Your 45MPH sounds perfect for taking long runs. Where did you get the idea that I thought otherwise? My understanding is (with Bolt & CRE) that bids are based on 50MPH on a direct and it seems to be no problem. BUT, here is my instructions to Murray: Give me anything over 700 in the afternoon or evening and add 4 hours because I will nap from 02:00 to 06:00.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am thinking every Fedex CC load I’ve run ..I don’t have a number but I know they calculate at about 45 mph and that calculate to the minute!
Like delivery time is 17:42. Sheesh

That always cracks me up when I see a odd time like that. Really? What, no seconds :D

Reactions: ntimevan

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Grizz, note that way back in this thread I stated that I had no problem with solos taking long runs IF, IF they are given time for proper rest. Your 45MPH sounds perfect for taking long runs. Where did you get the idea that I thought otherwise? My understanding is (with Bolt & CRE) that bids are based on 50MPH on a direct and it seems to be no problem. BUT, here is my instructions to Murray: Give me anything over 700 in the afternoon or evening and add 4 hours because I will nap from 02:00 to 06:00.

You self regulate (which was my point). That’s the answer right there. We should know what works best and safely for us, not some electronic nanny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When Roadway started the sleeper operation in the 90’s, fondly called “ pajama cars”, they spent 100s of thousands of dollars to figure out the schedule. Actually hired a company that did airline scheduling.
Chicago Heights had about 135 weekly bids for Sleepers. My brother ran a California run that left at like 08:12 Sunday and arrived in Ca maybe 06:37 on Tuesday. And you better be on time.
There were days when 30 trucks per hour were going through the gate.
We also laughed about the timing.

Seems like a long time but they had to stop in Denver and wait for trailer swap. Then Grand Junction where they had to drop and hook, leaving with triples.
Then into Vegas to again drop and hook as they could only take two trailers into Ca.
Up to 110,000 lbs in a Roadway poc tractor.
A non-airride sleeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Grizzly
BUT
Gross negligence?

WOM, now that your better half is back on board you're out there slaying all other vehicles in the marketplace .. 2,500 miles at a clip. Fastest transit times out there!

Since you'd like to make the roadways safer by enforcing laws that don't currently exist, I'd like to propose one of my own. ALL teams operating in a for-hire capacity should have to follow ELD rules/regulations. Doesn't matter what size vehicle you're in.

Ya see, 45 mph IS a very good average for taking long runs. It generally allows a solo operator enough time to rest, just as you described. What's encroaching upon this industry standard are teams offering and running faster transit times. Teams are forcing the issue, making the marketplace less safe.

In a van, who is calculating what percentage of time each driver actually drives?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Teams are making vans less safe ?
There’s van logic for you.

How about anything direct over 750 miles has to be in a team truck?
No team van available?
Make them pay for a team straight or team TT.
Remember, it’s all for safety.
Money should never be placed before safety.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Teams are making vans less safe ?
There’s van logic for you.

How about anything direct over 750 miles has to be in a team truck?
No team van available?
Make them pay for a team straight or team TT.
Remember, it’s all for safety.
Money should never be placed before safety.

I was referring specifically to teams in sub 10K vehicles. Teams in straights or TT are regulated. So, let's please stick with my simple minded van logic.
Yeah, I'm ok with those proposals ... good luck getting them enforced.
Stick, let me ask you .... is offering faster and faster transit times safe?
50 mph average?
55 mph average?
How about 60 mph ...?