how does a driver get experience

alfosk

Expert Expediter
first let me start by saying hello,and this is my first post.the reason im posting is i have a class A cdl and have had for 10 years,problem being i currently work in an automotive warehouse and have for past 7 years as a forklift operator and on occasion as a backup driver for a 24' box truck ,but it is a local route making deliveries to our own 15 stores which takes all day but only covers 175 miles total.it seems everyone wants recent otr experience which i really have none.how does one get started and who would you go with to give you a chance,i live in tucson arizona ,have family but am willing to stay out for weeks.i have been reading exp online for a few years now and my current jobs realitys are getting dim i really think i would do well with this type of work and ready to give it a go..thanks in advance .Allen

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
Well Allen you need to know what you want to drive either a class A or B truck and you also have a choice tro drive a truck that dose not take a cdl. You are not most likey to get a job driving a eighteen wheeler because they all want two years exprience before they will hire you. I also have a class A lic. and did not have the exprience so I went into a class 7 B truck also if you want to go this way you really need to have a team unless you own your on truck because most fleet owners require you to have a team before they will hire you. Me and my wife drive for a fleet owener we also do not have any children at home now. If thats not something you can do then I would suggest go to a van or sprinter because you can drive one of those with out the logs or dot rules so they will take on single drivers.

Hope this help you a little in you look for a new indeavour!

RICK & IDA
PANTHER DRIVERS:D

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
You can sign on with a company that has a training program. I trained through Schneider and went straight into their tanker division. In our class we had students who had and didn't have their cdl. Those who already knew how to drive just had it easy for that segment of the program. But a large part of the program was about learning the regs, logging, trip planning, and how the truck works, so everyone had to study. And now they have driving similators that can challenge even the most experienced trainers if you can drive at that level. I think you have 18-24 month commitment to drive for Schneider after you complete training. You're going to have to drive for them that long to get the experience that all the other companies want anyway. It's sort of like paying your dues--you want that fat managers paycheck--you go get your college degree.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You can sign on with a company that has a training program. I trained through Schneider and went straight into their tanker division. In our class we had students who had and didn't have their cdl. Those who already knew how to drive just had it easy for that segment of the program. But a large part of the program was about learning the regs, logging, trip planning, and how the truck works, so everyone had to study. And now they have driving similators that can challenge even the most experienced trainers if you can drive at that level. I think you have 18-24 month commitment to drive for Schneider after you complete training. You're going to have to drive for them that long to get the experience that all the other companies want anyway. It's sort of like paying your dues--you want that fat managers paycheck--you go get your college degree.

eb

Schneider may not be the best cmpany to work for long term but they are a darn good training company. There is a site PumpkinDriver.com That is for people with questions about Schneider, and no it is not owned or run by Schneider, check it out!!!:)

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Schneider may not be the best cmpany to work for long term but they are a darn good training company. There is a site PumpkinDriver.com That is for people with questions about Schneider, and no it is not owned or run by Schneider, check it out!!!:)
Yeah, pumpkin driver helped me when I was doing early research. The original owner of the site had to sell it, because he was moving up the ranks in the company, and the company didn't like the subversive nature of the site.

And yes, you have to put up with a lot in the Schneider system, but you can still do good financially. I made $33K my first year, and that included about three months of training. Take training out of the picture and I was on track to make $44K. Not bad for probationary work.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, pumpkin driver helped me when I was doing early research. The original owner of the site had to sell it, because he was moving up the ranks in the company, and the company didn't like the subversive nature of the site.

And yes, you have to put up with a lot in the Schneider system, but you can still do good financially. I made $33K my first year, and that included about three months of training. Take training out of the picture and I was on track to make $44K. Not bad for probationary work.

eb

I was a member of Pumpkindriver, some 5 or 6 years ago whn I was unemployed and looking at trucking. I was thinking of getting into the Schneider Walmart Dedicated since I live 25 minutes from the Garrett, In distribution center. Sometimes I wish I would have taken that job and I'd at least have my Class A. I guess I could always get my class A if needed.
Since then Walmart has switched over to Werner and is currently switching back over to all Walmart Drivers. You should see the amount of new trucks sitting up in Coldwater, Mi waiting to be put into service, 100's of them.
I was a Member of Pumpkindriver.com when the switch took place and do remember it. I think you have to be a member to see anything now it used to be open for all to see.
As EB said not bad pay for probationary work, you do have to put up with dirty trucks with lots of miles, unless you get lucky.:)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless something has changed in the last few months Schneider has closed all their training centers and are only taking on experienced drivers.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Unless something has changed in the last few months Schneider has closed all their training centers and are only taking on experienced drivers.

Really goes to show how tight the job market is getting, Schneider was the revolving door of trucking

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Allen: if driving t/t doesn't appeal to you, you might consider getting started in expediting by checking the EO classifieds for "Driver wanted" ads. Some are looking for someone to drive team [as was mentioned, teams are desired by most owners], and if the other driver is experienced, he/she may be willing to teach you the ropes, as you already have the CDL.
Good luck!

dogshed

Seasoned Expediter
If the driver training programs ever pick back up you should go through a school on your own at a community college or technical center. It will cost about half what a company charges for their CDL training and you won't have to work for them to pay it off. This leaves you free to walk away and go work for someone else.
Also, back when companies were hiring like crazy, they would reimburse you for your CDL class if you stayed a certain amount of time, but you of course didn't have to.
One more thing. If you go through the class you take your driving test from one of the school's instructors and not the DMV which is much less stressful.

Last edited: