how do you guys survive?

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I don't see how you guys can survive on .77 / mile or whatever you make in a van. I work for myself, have about 5 small trucking companies I contract to and get $1.25 / mile for my van. I also have an 18' flatbed trailer that I pull for machines and A/C units.
That pays me $1.50 / mile but if I go to FL. I charge $1.65 per mile to cover the tolls. For the 1st quarter of this year I have grossed over $27,000.00. I had authority at one time when I drove a straight truck, but got tired of all the DOT :censoredsign: so I bought a van. I also had an IC that ran a 24' flat bed for me. The reason I bought the trailer was to cover his overflow. I paid for the trailer in 1 week. He got his own authority last year so I am struggling on my own now.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
I suspect your deadhead is over 50% so if you do the math you making less that the .77 you discuse.

do you charge a FSC on top of your 1.25.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
i deadhead less than 50%. most of the work i do is with the trailer. you guys get .77 and then either wait or have to deadhead, too. these guys i read about average $500 to $700 per week. is that gross or net after expenses (fuel, taxes, etc.) I talked to a guy from panther that deadheaded in a van from san antonio to denver to p/u a run to mobile, al. i went from atlanta to mobile and grossed more than he did. I only run in the southeast, home most every night, and gross about $1500 / week.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you answered your own question. Van business is seasonal for the most part with only the most diciplined being successful.
There is less van frieght and frieght tonnage is increasing.That is why for example at Matts there was only one carrier I believe that had a recruiting van on display.
The push is for larger vehicles, but there will still be a need for vans in the market.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

vipra

Expert Expediter
Good for you, you're the first independent van owner who has posted on this forum, as far as I know. It looks like this is your first day in this forum, so you may not know that every couple months a van owner has asked if it's possible to be independent and find your own loads, and the replies are always negative or unencouraging. I asked that question myself a while ago. I'm in a van contracted to one of the large expediting companies, and I'd much rather be independent, but from what I've heard finding loads is too difficult. I highly recommend that you stay on good terms with the 5 companies you're working with, because if you lose them you'll have a hard time finding more. You're also the first I've read about who pulls freight on a trailer behind his van- that's a great idea, and it's probably much of the reason that you're able to be independent. If you gross $27K quarterly you're doing better than those of us who are getting the ".77 / mile or whatever" that you mentioned.

As for "...how can you guys can survive on .77 / mile or whatever..." -----I'm surviving very well on it, thank you. Unlike most people, my income exceeds my expenses, and I've always been able to keep it that way since I got out on my own at age 17. You said "I am struggling on my own now." You gross $27K/quarter and you're struggling???? I suggest that you take a look at your expeditures, both personal and business. I'm not struggling at all, so I'm doing better at .77/mile than you are at 1.25/mile. Always remember the old adage, 'It's not what you make, it's what you do with what you make.'

Vipra

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
I use the term "struggling" in gest. I do pretty well for only working 3-4 days per week and spending only 5-6 nights per month away from home. My cost of operation is only about .30-.35 per mile (a little more when I pull the trailer). I want to get out of the expediting business but when you are over 50 and have been self-employed for 20 years no one wants you. It pays the bills, but I'm tired of doing it. I have a 2005 van less than a year old with 94,000 miles on it (at least it's a diesel.)

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
DriverDude,

I knew it was said in jest. It's called having some discernment. Everyone seems so indoctrinated when they work for a large company. It kind of reminds me of the Communist re-education camp philosophy in Vietnam after the war. One would think you had killed their sacred cow if you ask any questions, or express any concerns, about the company with whom they contract.

Personally, I think 70% are pretty much the same. They do a good job of managing their business. Of course, that is why they are in business! The other 10% also have good management skills, but they are more people oriented. I like be a person instead of a truck number. I know almost every dispatcher by their first name and they know me too! The remaining 20% of the expediting companies will fall by the wayside and be replaced by a new start up company. In fact, 85% of all new business ventures will fail within 2 years. That said, it is a risky business for us too.

When I am waiting for a load I try to help every driver with computer, business or personal questions that they might ask. Why? Because I want everyone to make it in this business.

DriverDude, I am 55 and I used to be the V.P. of an Xtreme Sports Equipment Company. Without going into detail I'll jusy say that I don't do the company politics thing very well. Ask me for a truthful answer and that's what you will get. Unfortunately, folks ask for the truth, but they really don't want to hear the truth. After leaving my position I couldn't buy a job in corporate America. One big factor is that health care premiums increase by 40-50% when you hit 55 and companies don't want to pay the extra cost. I am somewhat disappointed in my former comapny because in 4 years I helped them go from $380,000 in sales to over 10 million. You think they could have afforded to spend a few dollars. I left and their business has declined by 30%. Pride sure gets in the way of good business sense!

So, I bought myself a job when I purchased a cargo van. Would I rather be sitting in my nice air conditioned office? Sometimes, but I do enjoy the freedom and the folks I contract with have been very good to me personally. I see no need to look elesewhere.

late for dinner

Expert Expediter
dhalltoyo, your answer about people not wanting to hear the truth is just like someone asking for advice. They dont want advice, they just want someone to agree with them. By the way, you got mail re drivecam