House versus Apartment

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are presently living in an apartment with our oldest daughter. We had a house the first part of our trucking career. We had a nice house with acreage that we really enjoyed. We found that out on the road we worried about our home a lot. When we went home we had lots to do as for some reason when a house sits without people funny things happen to it. I spent most of my time cleaning and Bob spent most of his time maintaining the outside. When we decided to get into Expediting we sold our house and invested that money. We are slowly adjusting to apartment living but really do not enjoy this life style. The great thing is though we leave and we forget about the apartment no worries. When we come home we don't worry about fixing anything and can concentrate on personal things we want to do. Some day we will reinvest in a home but for now our money is growing and we do not have the stress of home maintenance.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Okay, now Linda. Is this a picture of your little Molly? She can't be that cute! She looks like a doggy model! india
India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
A shut mouth gathers no foot.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
India, That is Molly wearing one of her winter coats. You cant tell me that darn dog isnt spoiled!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For a Three year period we lived in the truck. When at home we went to Extended Stay Hotel,where they provided everything. Maid service,etc and we felt this was wonderful.To just leave with no headaches about the property left behind was great.

Alas times change. It was necessary to take over Carols daughter`s house while she and her husband are away. Now we are right back in the RUTT of house repairs,maintaince,headaches.

Believe me I prefer life on the road with the Extended Stay hotels. And we saved lots of money that way.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have been under the impression that if you only lived in your truck you could not take the per diem exemption on your taxes. Have you heard that? It is to bad you are back into that rut after finding out how much easier it is to not have those worries.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was a case reported in one of the trucker magazines of a couple that lived in their truck and were denied the meal write off because they had no home to be away from.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We were never audited during this period, but were prepared with a address for the IRS should they ask.We never claimed the days spent at Extended Stay for per diem.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I'd say if you claimed 365 days per diem IRS would be a little suspicious . They want to see your logs during an audit . If you use an address be sure to show off duty time at that location .

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with Team Caffee. We had a house when we first went on the road, and every time we came home we spent our time doing maintenance. The biggest problem was the lawn. It became ruined over time, as the lawn services don´t give it the attention it needs to keep it the way it should be kept, and you can´t get it healthy again overnight. We sold, moved to a condo, and it´s much easier. Lock the door and leave. We too will go go back to a house someday, but it will be in a retirement community, that is run like a condo, where they have wall to wall maintenance. Houses are nice when you´re raising the kids. After that, unless you are a tinkerer by nature, forget it.