Hotshot Flatbed Equipment

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Glad you are enjoying it. the difference between company driver and o/o in this segment is more than enough to offset the cost of a hotel. I only mention it because you mentioned the parking problem. lots of hotels that have truck parking.

Reactions: Solar

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The enjoyment of a good shower/bed quickly diminishes when you come out and realize that you must go out and buy straps, etc again before you move.
Which will be hard to do if they've siphoned your tank(s) dry.
Moral: be selective about where you park.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wanted to update, been doing it for a little time now.

If I could go back in time and answer rookie me’s questions, i’d say this.

Get 5 chains and 5 binders, don’t skimp and buy the 12’ chain at 5k lbs. Get the 20’ chains. Also, get ratchet binders. They work the best.

Straps get 15 if you have a 30’ trailer. No, you won’t need a strap every 2 feet, but you will get some odd shaped loads that will leave you scratching your head. Also, sometimes the load you strapped down perfectly will move. God knows why. Either case, you’ll be surprised how many straps you could end up using. I had one 12’ cylinder that was 1,500 lbs. putting on 3 straps, 2 belly wrapped , I thought was overkill as I left the shipper. By the time I reached the receiver I had a chain, one broken strap, and 6 straps on this demonically possessed load. Moral, you really can’t have enough straps. They don’t weigh that much.

As far as tarps is concerned, try to avoid it. If they want it tarped, make them pay. If your broker is giving away tarping like a free extra service, fire him/her immediately.

As far as size, a 25’x20’ tarp will be fine. If you need more than that, then maybe consider getting a different load.

Reactions: Moot and RoadTime

logisticsetc

New Recruit
Driver
If it was me I would have both straps and chains. In some cases the shipper may prefer or request a tie down with chains instead of the straps.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it was me I would have both straps and chains. In some cases the shipper may prefer or request a tie down with chains instead of the straps.
Yes, you most definitely want to have Both Straps AND Chains.

I believe there is more money in Hotshot Flatbed because it’s much easier to find a load, in fact I never sat 24 hours without a load. Also, you have a large amount of space for loads so you can carry multiple. It wasn’t uncommon to be getting $2 a mile combining loads.

The downside is, you have to run ELDs, you never get a comfortable night sleep, and you are shackled to the Truck Stops. It’s not much of a life because even going home for your reset, you generally have something work related going on that day, and the morning after you’re back up early and running again.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
If your still looking for tarps "Weather Toppers, Inc" 760 344 4556 see their add in Land Line magazine.