Hot Shotting

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I am currently owner of a few trucks in Expediting and very much want to begin doing delivery of trailers. Campers and anything else. I have drivers in my trucks and want to do Hot Shotting myself. Does anyone know how to best get in this business? Any websites? So On
raceman

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
If you travel through the northern Indiana area you might want to stop at Dan's Trailer sales at exit 92 on the Indiana Tollway Elkhart exit and get a list from him on all the opportunitys in that area. You do realize you will be taking an enormous cut in revenue? Best of luck to you, and keep us posted how it's going.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You certainly don't see hotshots like you used to.The one company that I know of that is still around using owner operators is Jones Motor Express,out of PA somewere.As Glen said up in Northern Indiana there are a lot of RV and trailer manufacturers,that use Hot Shots.

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
Horizon Transport is one of the largest for contract work. Their website is www.horizontransport.com.
Even if your not interested in contracting with them, you may pick up some helpful information about the business.

BanditMan

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most of the work hauling campers and trailers is not that lucrative. If you are seriously into the hotshot work, you need to be in Texas or maybe Louisiana. Most of that work entails hauling parts and equipment for the oil companies. I enjoyed alot of success with this when we use to live in Texas.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Those were truly the good old days! Remeber when you would see a 60 inch sleeper on the middle of a one ton truck? That was pretty cool! I'm kinda dating myself now, because that was 25 years ago! Boy does time fly when your having fun. Truthfully I know Dan's Trailer Sales has a list of all the contractors in northern Indiana..ie..classic,horizon, and the rest of them..If you have equipment to haul the heavier units such as the "Teton" 5th wheels that weigh around 22,000 lbs. there is still some money to be made there. Or possibly you have equipment that can pull a three axle trailer, to haul multiple units, I believe you could make some good money that way.. Best of luck, and please let us know what you find out. Thanks for the inquiry...

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for all the input. To be clear, I want to do this myself. I am not getting out of Expediting. My trucks have drivers in them and are on the road. I want to do this myself more or less to keep myself on the road. I love being out on the road. I just thought HotShot might be a way to go out now and then. I am open to any input. To be honest I would love to get a tractor and just run now and then but have not found much luck at that.I thought if I could make some money with my Ford F350 it would keep me busy and help pay the bills.

raceman