HOS for cargo vans?

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
Hey All,

Let me start off by saying I a newbie to the forum and a newbie to driving and have a few questions.

I drive for a Cargo Van less than 10000 LBS and no haz-mat greater than 1000lbs
My biggest and most important question on my mind right now is HOS regulations in regards to cargo vans less than 10,000 lbs, no hazmat over 1000Lbs.

Are they any laws pertaining to the cargo vans HOS (hours of service) Are we limited to the number of hours we can drive before having to rest? IF so can anyone advise and provide links to where I can obtain this information? I have heard other drivers state that can drive for X number of hours before having to rest for X amount of hours. However it been unclear if these are company rules or DOT regulations. (or both)
Also if we are regulated, do we have to keep a log book?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Under 10,000 no log books, no HOS either by the DOT. Some carriers put a limit on us. And some carriers will run ya till ya drop

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only time you must log is with placard hazmat. There are no federal rules other than that. Some carriers do place limitations on vans signed onto their fleet.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

zorry

Veteran Expediter
DO NOT ARGUE with Turtle on this.

He'll mop up the floor with you.

I think he wins this debate a couple of times per year.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Arguing with Turtle is like arguing with the FMCSA Rule Book.
You don't have to like the answer but you should know he posted it from either knowledge or research. Or both.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So you say that if is 500 pounds hazmat and you dont have hazmat endorsement you can carry it without any issue?
If that hazardous material doesn't require placards at 500 pounds, yes, anyone can haul it without issue.

If the material requires placarding, even at 500 pounds, then you need a CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement to haul it.

Expedite Now Trucking Magazine - Can You Haul HAZMAT Without an Endorsement?

I know you dont need placards
That's because, while I am caustic, I'm less than 1001 pounds.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

It van be very confusing, and it doesn't help when people in Safety Departments at carriers don't know the regs regarding HAZMAT, either.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
It VAN be very confusing, and it doesn't help when people in Safety Departments at carriers don't know the regs regarding HAZMAT, either.

I see what you did there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. Real short and real serious.

There are no LEGAL HOS rules regarding the under 10K crowd as long as we're not hauling hazmat that requires placarding.

You, however, are possessed of a human body just like the rest of us, and sometimes that body gets tired. If you don't get rest when you need it, sooner or later your horse-shoe is gonna turn upside down and then you're gonna be in a heap of hurt.

You shouldn't need a law to tell you to stop for sleep when you need it, but unfortunately laws had to be written because there's always some wanna-be Superman who thinks he doesn't need sleep for long periods of time. People die that way, and there's no need for that.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I worked for panther they had a 16 hour rule. Once you started rolling your 16 hour clock started. You'd have to sit 5 hours to restart your 16. They were very strict about it too. I heard there insurance cut them a deal to enforce it.

triadcowboy

Rookie Expediter
When I worked for panther they had a 16 hour rule. Once you started rolling your 16 hour clock started. You'd have to sit 5 hours to restart your 16. They were very strict about it too. I heard there insurance cut them a deal to enforce it.

Panther drivers have told me about the 16/5 hour rule and that they are very Strict on it.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well, how about this? I used to drive for the company with the 16 hours on, 5 off rule. So I was driving nicely down the road when the phone rang. Safety told me that I needed to take 5 hours break. The problem was that I wasn't tired at that time. I tried to talk with them to let me drive a couple of hours more, but no, they knew better. I had to stop for 5 hours. So I stop, and try to sleep, but couldn't since I wasn't tired. So I was watching the ceiling of my van for more then 2 hours before I finally fell asleep. When the 5 hours were up I had to get up and continue driving. Not long after, I got really tired, but couldn't do anything but keep on. If they would have let me drive only 2 extra hours, then sleep the 5 hours, I would have been alright all the way to the consignee.

I agree, there are people out there that are not capable of managing their time, but like in my situation, the rule made it worse. I am happy that I am with a company that lets me manage my time how it works best for me, not how a computer says it should.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther drivers have told me about the 16/5 hour rule and that they are very Strict on it.

They are only strict when they have another driver available for a hand off. In the case they dont you wont hear a peep from them.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Last edited: