HOS Changes Effective February 27, 2013

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Doing secure loads,back to back,is more tiring than I imagine many people in dispatch would be able to comprehend.
They look easier on paper.

Too bad it is not a paper world, eh? In the old days, when we knew dispatchers it was different. Now, with so many changes, new dispatchers, etc, few seem to get it.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
But you can ask for a safe haven also...We had plenty of secure loads that we called and got safe havens for. And drivers could both be in sleeper.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Good we have the Person from the FMCSA that doesn't have a clue.

How can someone that's never done trucking be in charge of Transportation and making the rules.

What is needed is COMMON SENSE!!!!!

YUPP!!!!!!

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Diane and I learned in trucking is the absolute importance of getting the rest you need. We learned how to take naps in the middle of the day and how refreshing they can be.

Careful theyll think you have sleep apnea, Thats one of the trick questions on the NEW exam youll recieve soon enough, DO YOU EVER FEEL LIKE TAKING A NAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY...If you say yes youll qualify for FURTHER TESTING...$$$$

I do the restarts already and the breaks and weve been typically staying out three weeks, Personally I used to take naps when ever I could, But in the entertainment field we would work three days straight....then drive somewhere all nite....climbing up under a stage or into the rig while 1 millions watts of AC/DC is making the building vibrate to nap thats relaxing LOL...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Careful theyll think you have sleep apnea, Thats one of the trick questions on the NEW exam youll recieve soon enough, DO YOU EVER FEEL LIKE TAKING A NAP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY...If you say yes youll qualify for FURTHER TESTING...$$$$

So a nap in the middle of the day can be good for your body but bad for your pocketbook and possibly your career if you answer truthfuly about it on an exam? What exam are you talking about? How and when did you learn of it?

Deville

Not a Member
Hours of service has never really been an issue for me. Because the way i run I can only think of a hand full of times I was up against running out of hours. I think that this change may benifit a guy like me when it comes to final mile loads that I can pick up at various locations in & around my express center.

ryansexpress

Seasoned Expediter
The doctors that give physicals will now ask you if you feel like taking a nap during the day. If you say yes, you may be required to take sleep apnea test.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
When you get your required CDL physical the Dr. will ask if you snore, if you get sleepy or nap during the day, measure your neck and check your body mass index. Based on his findings you may be required to do a sleep study. Mine cost $4600 each and I had 2 plus the cost of the machine.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

The doctors that give physicals will now ask you if you feel like taking a nap during the day. If you say yes, you may be required to take sleep apnea test.

When you get your required CDL physical the Dr. will ask if you snore, if you get sleepy or nap during the day, measure your neck and check your body mass index. Based on his findings you may be required to do a sleep study. Mine cost $4600 each and I had 2 plus the cost of the machine.

How do you know this? Where is it required or specified?

Diane and I just completed DOT physicals at a Mayo Clinic facility in Minnesota with two different doctors. None of that happened. Our carrier accepted the physicals. We're good to go.

EasyDoesIt, you had this testing done, but was it because of a blanket requirement that applies to all drivers or was it because you actually have sleep apnea?

I get it about the sleep solutions providers -- the companies that OOIDA calls "Big Sleep" -- using their political clout to have it mandated that a bunch of expensive and unecessary tests be given to truck drivers. But what I don't see is an official mandate that this be done. I know there is a lot of talk about such a mandate but does one yet exist? I know of none and may be wrong, which is why I am asking.

How do you know this? Where is it required or specified?

Without an industry-wide mandate, word will spread almost instantly among drivers about which doctors lean toward sleep testing and which ones do not. And drivers seeking to avoid unecessary tests would go to the ones that do not lean toward unecessary testing. Right?

Last edited:

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
I drove T/T for JB Hunt in Chicago. JB required it through the clinic they used for physicals. My Dr. could have signed a waiver if he was willing to accept responsibility should I have a accident. At the time I took that physical it was a suggested guideline and not a rule. JB just pushed it to protect themselves.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you, EasyDoesIt for the clarification. In your case, it was a suggested guidline, not a rule and a particular carrier pushed it to protect themselves.

Can you tell us, was that guidline followed for all drivers, or just those who showed in a condition that suggested they may be at risk for sleep apnea?

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
If your neck measures more than 17 1/2 inches or your Body Mass Index is greater than 34 these are indicators you may have sleep apnea. At the time of my physical the nurse measured my neck holding the tape measure quite loose then told me my BMI was 37. When I calculated my BMI it was just under 34. I said I sleep on my side and didn't snore, sleep well at night and didn't nap during the day. Clinic Dr. said I needed to be tested for sleep apnea or my 6 month medical card would not be renewed. This made me believe JB Hunt was using the clinic to protect themselves from lawsuits and not something the clinic was mandated to do by FMCSA.

I chose a sleep lab in my insurance network. Technician attaches about 20 wires to your head, body and legs. I watched tv for a bit then rolled on my side and went to sleep. I guess I stayed in that position too long without snoring so the tech woke me up and had me sleep on my back. A bit later I was awakened to wear a mask attached to a CPAP machine. A second test was required in order to calibrate the CPAP machine. It was determined I have mild sleep apnea. My insurance wouldn't buy the machine but paid their portion of the $150.00 monthly rental after my deductible was met. My CPAP machine has a removable chip that records usage over a 1 year period. It must be used a minimum of 4 hours a day and I believe it is 70% of the time. Tubing, mask, filter and water reservoir need to be replaced periodically (every 3 - 6 months) at a cost of $450.00.

Healthy Weight: Assessing Your Weight: Body Mass Index (BMI) | DNPAO | CDC A link to calculate your Body Mass Index

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doing secure loads,back to back,is more tiring than I imagine many people in dispatch would be able to comprehend.
They look easier on paper.

And you get paid for every hour your babysitting the load, therefore, whats the big deal, and how is is so tiring watching the load in the front seat. All you would do is your normal time shifts.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good we have the Person from the FMCSA that doesn't have a clue.

How can someone that's never done trucking be in charge of Transportation and making the rules.

What is needed is COMMON SENSE!!!!!

YUPP!!!!!!

It's a political appointment and always has been and always will be a political appointment, the only difference now is there are so many drivers that cannot make it out here without cheating.

Plus you don't have to drive a truck to be a expert on trucking.

Like in the military you have to learn to adapt to changing conditions.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's a political appointment and always has been and always will be a political appointment, the only difference now is there are so many drivers that cannot make it out here without cheating.

Plus you don't have to drive a truck to be a expert on trucking.

Like in the military you have to learn to adapt to changing conditions.

In the military you have a chance to fight back.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yep doctor asked me if I snore and I said nope, why, because I never hear myself snore, therefore, I don't snore.

Asked me if I want to take a nap or get sleepy during the day and the answer is no never happens,

As for overweight, I am and I get to the gym when I can, now I'm getting into shape because I'm starting to fish for bigger fish and need all the strength I can get for this type of fishing.

moose

Veteran Expediter
"Big Sleep" -- using their political clout to have it mandated that a bunch of expensive and unecessary tests be given to truck drivers.
& in a related news, hot from today's XM trucking radio: Prime Inc. recruiting Dep. is proud to announce they are now remotely monitoring electronically everything their BIG truckers eat. some kind of App. that calculate calories.
to be mandated soon to a truck near you.
{you know why Prime is so big on drivers health?, it's because of the small sleepers they provide for their fleet, they need to shrink them drivers...}