HOS And Cargo Vans

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Is the thirty minnite thing still an issue? Realy?

The other night, Diane was forced by the new rules to stop the truck for 30 minutes to take the required 30 minute break. She did not want a break. She did not need a break. She would not have taken a break if the new rules did not force her to.

The result was that we arrived at the delivery, hours ahead of when the docks opened for business the next morning, but 30 minutes later than we otherwise would. As usual on such arrivals, and if there are no security protocols to prevent it, we go to sleep, enjoying the fact that we are doing so in a non-moving truck.

The new rules took 30 minutes of that non-moving-truck sleep time away from us. It that an issue? For some, it may not be. For others, it is.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
My guess is that teams MIGHT just get offered more if the time is close. If no team, "strong solos". But no, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. But it's kind of rare for shippers to be able to "plan" better just because we want them to. Most of these larger facilities don't communicate we'll between departments and sort of "dump" their shipments on the traffic department to figure out. I don't think the 30 minute rule is going to, on its own, make or break any size truck or team.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The other night, Diane was forced by the new rules to stop the truck for 30 minutes to take the required 30 minute break. She did not want a break. She did not need a break. She would not have taken a break if the new rules did not force her to.

The result was that we arrived at the delivery, hours ahead of when the docks opened for business the next morning, but 30 minutes later than we otherwise would. As usual on such arrivals, and if there are no security protocols to prevent it, we go to sleep, enjoying the fact that we are doing so in a non-moving truck.

The new rules took 30 minutes of that non-moving-truck sleep time away from us. It that an issue? For some, it may not be. For others, it is.

One issue that has been brought up before is people driving faster, I ended up doing that today. Yesterday, after 3 nights in a hotel I found myself not to be in a driving mood and a little tired because I woke up early. Under the old HOS I would have stopped and taken a quick break to get into work mode but I realized I was only 3.5 hours into my day and taking a break when I wanted/needed it would mean I would have to stop again, I didn't stop.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter

The math is simple..
24 hours a one day.
we can be on duty 14 hours a day.
We can still drive 11 hours a day NO CHANGES
take a 1/2 hour break.
3 & 1/2 for everything else
Detention rate $45.00 per 15 minuites and starts after 15 minites of waiting. Yep, thats my rate and this definitely gets a shipper or receiver moving.

Getting your truck loaded and down the road?

Priceless.

For everything else theres whining about the new H.O.S.

Bob Wolf.

It is 2.5 hours for everything else not 3.5, I guess the math isn't that simple.

Setting detention times/rates is not likely at all for the vast majority as they are set by the carrier. Most shippers and brokers would never, ever agree to $180/hr for detention.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter

The math is simple..
24 hours a one day.
we can be on duty 14 hours a day.
We can still drive 11 hours a day NO CHANGES
take a 1/2 hour break.
3 & 1/2 for everything else
Detention rate $45.00 per 15 minuites and starts after 15 minites of waiting. Yep, thats my rate and this definitely gets a shipper or receiver moving.

Getting your truck loaded and down the road?

Priceless.

For everything else theres whining about the new H.O.S.

Bob Wolf.

Bob; check you math/ hours..

14 on duty equals=

11 driving
1/2 hr off
2 & 1/2 do other stuff

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I remember correctly, the example that was cited was that of a cargo van that got an expedited two-skid load, with the two skids comming off a larger LTL or TL shipment. It happened because, under the new HOS rules, the LTL or TL truck could not get the full shipment to the consignee in time, so a van was called in to deliver enough of the shipment to supply the consignee until the full shipment arrived.
That's precisely the scenario that I did on my last run, 2179 miles from Laredo to just outside Boston.

The dims were listed as (LxWxH): 91x36x48 in. While those dims are correct, they are in the way wrong order. The 91 was the Height, not the Length. It was a computer server rack bolted to a pallet, and we had to lay it down and slide it into the van with the rack still bolted to the pallet. The rack was well protected by padded moving blankets, of course, so as to prevent scratching or any other damage while loading, in-transit, or unloading.

But it came off a truck that had 11 of those racks, and they needed one of them for sure by Saturday morning, and the rest couldn't get there by LTL until at least Tuesday. So, they pulled one off the truck and put in on my Sprinter.