hometime

truckwife

Expert Expediter
My husband and I are considering buying a 22' straight truck. I was wondering about how much hometime would I be looking at and still be able to make payments and remain profitable. My husband doesn't worry that much about home time. Will some companies let him run solo while I take a week off. Thank You
TenTen

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
I have seen this question here before and the people that can answer it have to know a little bit more, like what is your location how long do you want to stay out on the road. Just from reading the past post most teams like to stay out 3 to 4 weeks then take 3 or 4 days off. Now the part about your Husband running solo for a week or 2 I have no idea. I hope this helps a little, I am sure someone with the correct answer will be along soon. Good luck
And welcome to EO this is a great tool for answering all your questions.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you could run as a team or a single as long as one understands that your revenue will drop during the period you run single. Your ability to get home will depend on where you live. The upper midwest of course being the best. We live in Florida and usually go out for 3 weeks and take a week off. During that week off is when all the service work ect is done on the truck, and we tend to our other business.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
As an independent contractor, you'll be entitled to stay out or stay home as much as you deem fit for your circumstances. Many folks opt for a thumb rule of 3 weeks working the road thena week working at the house. I believe you'll find your own sched as determined by your financial needs, how the freight is moving, your proximity to home at the end of the work week, holidays, family exigencies, truck corrective/preventive maintenance needs, and the weather if you're sensitive to snow and ice. As for team/solo, we've done both with fedex cc for the past 15 yrs and have never been approached to change our modus operandi. My wife/co-driver spends a considerable time home, mostly to take care of the house and property. As with a truck, a house is too much of an investment to sit without constant attention. Bottom line...You'll find your own groove and ride with it. That's the benefit of an independent contractor in this business.