HO HO OH it's Load One December

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well yes and no. So many drivers don't clean, calibrate and maintain the scanners that the images are often not clear enough for customs to read all the fine details. Per Anthony our customs guru:

I tell them that the scanner is an option but that sending from the shipper via fax or email or using a scan app from their phone and emailing are the first options

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

I have been having intermittent issues with the scanner. Poor quality, QC not detecting scanner. Shop replaced QC cord last time which took care of some other connection issues. Talked about hard wiring scanner, but scanner was working ok at the time so passed.

Flash forward a few weeks. After delivery, scanner not detected again, then detected but wouldn't scan. I played around with several reboots for over an hour. Not my idea of fun at 1am. Then had an idea. What if it's the scanner cord that is the real problem? I picked up one for $20 at Walmart. Not only did it solve my connection issues, the scans showing on my screen have never been clearer. I would say that the scans now look perfect on my end. So maybe it's not the scanner, but the cords we have been using that have been causing clarity issues. Just a thought

Reactions: jelliott

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been having intermittent issues with the scanner. Poor quality, QC not detecting scanner. Shop replaced QC cord last time which took care of some other connection issues. Talked about hard wiring scanner, but scanner was working ok at the time so passed.

Flash forward a few weeks. After delivery, scanner not detected again, then detected but wouldn't scan. I played around with several reboots for over an hour. Not my idea of fun at 1am. Then had an idea. What if it's the scanner cord that is the real problem? I picked up one for $20 at Walmart. Not only did it solve my connection issues, the scans showing on my screen have never been clearer. I would say that the scans now look perfect on my end. So maybe it's not the scanner, but the cords we have been using that have been causing clarity issues. Just a thought

I have to plug my scanner into the black box. It will not scan from the USB port on the keyboard. Never did.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well yes and no. So many drivers don't clean, calibrate and maintain the scanners that the images are often not clear enough for customs to read all the fine details. Per Anthony our customs guru:

I tell them that the scanner is an option but that sending from the shipper via fax or email or using a scan app from their phone and emailing are the first options

Will pass that on to maint as another item to test during swap outs.

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have to plug my scanner into the black box. It will not scan from the USB port on the keyboard. Never did.
My very first scan I plugged the USB cable into the head unit and then the scanner and it scanned fine. But that's a PITA. So I then plugged the cable into the black box, and leave the cable plugged in, and just connect the scanner to the cable when I need to scan.

Reactions: SWTexas1

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
My scanner has a different issue. When it is cold, the paper goes through very very sloooooowly. As a result, the scans are very very stretched out. All I have to do is to take the scanner out of the case and leave it on the seat for a while to get warm and then it will work. Weird, but hey, I can make it work.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My scanner has a different issue. When it is cold, the paper goes through very very sloooooowly. As a result, the scans are very very stretched out. All I have to do is to take the scanner out of the case and leave it on the seat for a while to get warm and then it will work. Weird, but hey, I can make it work.

Yup, when ever I know I going to be needing it, I make sure I warm it up ahead of time. It definitely does not like the cold

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have my scanner mounted above my head, in the case. I leave it plugged into the black box per Matt, as he was trouble shooting why the scanner didn't work from the keyboard.

Reactions: Turtle

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I inherited a 468Q2 scanner from another application and it works flawlessly with the QC...nice and clear...but was told never to use the "customs paperwork" option ever.. for anything. Would be nice to use it and get more value out of the weekly fee. Use my phone for customs paperwork, many shippers now don't have fax machines for drivers and I'm not paying Pilot $2 a PAGE and waiting in line. I think QC uses 468's now.

The rest of the unit works OK I guess..requires a daily hard boot to re accuire signal and I do get a lot of calls asking where I am, have I delivered/loaded or crossed the border...not sure where that info gets lost. Unit checks out fine I'm told.

John mentioned on here a while ago a platform switch may be in the offing..hopefully it doesn't involve the words Qual or Comm

Reactions: RoadTime

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
6edae89dcbfa76cdd843da161bd5340e.jpg

How I see my Sprinter every year at this time.

Does it look familiar Scott?

Reactions: ntimevan

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Weather for Sunday in Detroit calls for 100% chance of snow. Temps are saying high 31 low 30. Wednesday there calling for high 17 and low 5. Thursday there calling for high 14 low 4. Hope I didn't ruin anyones day. Lol

Reactions: ntimevan