Historic rifle found

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Nice find.. Pretty sure I left that leaning there and I want it back... I officially lay first claim to it. :D

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had it been found in New York, it would've been confiscated and destroyed by now :rolleyes:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm wondering why it was unloaded and why there was no paperwork on who bought it, very interesting.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paperwork? :confused: This was a much freer country back then. At best there would have been a bill of sale.

The article indicates that the serial number doesn't show which retail store it would have been shipped to. I'm not sure how common that is but it sounded like it's an early case of something falling off the back of a truck.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The article indicates that the serial number doesn't show which retail store it would have been shipped to. I'm not sure how common that is but it sounded like it's an early case of something falling off the back of a truck.

I'm not a dealer but I don't think serial numbers indicate which store gets it. I think today that is tracked thru paperwork. If they trace this rifle I will be shocked considering how little paper trails we had back then unless it was Military issue??? Maybe Sears & Roebuck catalog??
You mean wagon and not truck..:)

My theory,Some
Indian ran out of rounds and left it behind after he stole it from me..I still want it back.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

They were not tracked back then, no reason to track them. What is common now was vastly different over 100 years ago

Keep in mind that, back then, not all firearms even had serial numbers on them. I don't believe that serial numbers were required on firearms, by the federal government, until the 1968 gun laws were passed. I have more than one, modern firearm, that do not have a serial number on them, they never had one put on at the factory.

Last edited: