Hino Trucks...

Trustee

Expert Expediter
Dear Friends,

I am about to buy HINO Truck 1817, 16" Box and order sleeper...
Anybody has Hino truck, Could you tell me about it...
Thanks..

Larry.:7

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I haven't seen as many today as I use to see. There should be someone with some advise on them as they were real popular back in my Roberts Express Days. So were pick-ups with sleepers and a small box. I know alot of them are used for local pickup and delivery but not sure how many in a over the road application

Trustee

Expert Expediter
This is special order 2005,with sleeper...

I couldn't find one with box on it, In Canada they are selling without box..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You might want to check with the dealer to make sure it is set up for a over the road application. With out a box on it, it could have a drive train that is more suited to a wrecker or something of that nature. Investigate carefully to insure it has the specs that you need. Can't say enough about this because of the high fuel prices ect. You can't afford a truck that is averaging 5 or 6 mpg. and survive in expediting if you are just starting out.

tazman

Expert Expediter
You're right on with that ....

Here is what I know about HINO...these are units built bt Toyota Heavy Industries....(i.e. sub of Toyota Motor Corp)

Prior to 2005 they have been primarily sold as COE units ( cab-over-engine)....in the medium delivery market.....

This year they dropped the COE for a conventional cab design...looking very much like new Internationals.....

They have different model designations for the new units:
Models 145 165 and 185 are Class 4-5 (12-18' body lengths)
These have L-4 engines

Models 238 268 338 are Class 6-7 units (16-26 body lengths)
These have L-6 engines.

The truck ar well designed for driver comfort and should help them gain market share in these classes...

Recently I had the opportunity to attend a training session at MOrgan body and met a dealer in NJ....They are ramping for bodies and will have products available in the near future....

My "gut feeling" is let them "shake out" for a year or so before plunging into a 2000+ mile/week runner with these chassis....

P.S. - They use Eaton sticks or Aisin or Allison auto trannys...

For what it's worth....

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Roger above comments about fuel economy and unknown Hino product. Would check other trucks & prices... Best to stick with proven engine and powertrain products with parts availabilit. For a starter truck, Sterling Acterra can be spec'd with either MBE, Cat, or Cummins ISC & I would go with new designed 'C' with max. 315 hsp (new Bosch fuel common rail system, and now has roller cam followers). This is proven wet-sleeve motor with millions of miles...past problems with fuel pump should be gone. Bentz likes working on this with sleepers, and truck is available with cab-air system for comfort. My current 2000 ISC which is slightly gear-bound at 3.37 final drive gets 9.5 at 65 mph in a Pete 330. I am spec'ing a new Pete 335 with a final drive of 3.0-3.04 and 315 ISC with 9 spd for improved fuel efficiency... Both Pete & Acterra with this basic spec come in around $60K for chassis only... but you can back this way down with MBE motor, but don't go with too little torque pending your intended use. Better move fast for Acterra as build slots are disappearing for 2004. Nalley in Atlanta has IH, Pete, & Hino: lots of bang for buck with Navistar too

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to agree with simon. Pete330, KW300, or Sterling Acterra are the only ones that use alot of class 8 parts. Usually a pretty good bang for the buck. Waiting lists are starting to get a little long.

gojack

Expert Expediter
I looked at the New Hino's
and I was totally put off by the very poor el'cheapo
trim in the cab, floor covering, lack of insulation, ultra-light weight
plastics in the dash etc Just awful

Dave

tazman

Expert Expediter
You have to remember that their initial target market is everyday delivery ( city trucks ) .....

Roger Penske ( you all know him ) is in joint venture with Toyota on these units.....they will get better...believe me....

The old "COE" HINO trucks are and continue to have a great loyalty following.......especially in the big city markets....
Toyota Heavy industries build the diesels for these units...and while they don't punch out tons of horsepower...they are very, very reliable.....

I never count anyone out until they close the dealership doors...

They will get better....count on it...

Frank in Pa.

P.S. - I just came from a driving road course that GM medium put on and had a chance to drive all the major brands over a closed course....the focused on GM products...but you know...they have probably the best choice out there today in the medium duty market...
The truck that I thought was the the worst "Freightliner" ....
and the best the "GMC 6500...with a CAT engine"....just my humble opinion...2nd best the HINO 238 with a 26' box body...lousy fit and all.....

Frank in Pa.
"The Beast in the East"

chimo1990

Expert Expediter
I'm driving that very truck otr right now with an 18 foot box and the sleeper portion is at the front of the box with a crawl through.As people have said it is not a very powerful truck but the milage i get is alot better then the 24' topkick 7500 with the 3126 was and the maintenence is also very good.mine has 550,000 on it and still running like new.The ride on the coe is not very good when you hit a bump so East coast running is not very pleasent but mid west is no problem.