Hino Trucks and why I bought 1 and ordered the 2nd

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
RE: Waiting on Hino

I shopped the truck at other dealers, The reason I decided on Churneys was they told me they could get the truck by the first week of august.

So since they claimed they could do it quicker I opted not to grind them on the price, Timlyness is what I wanted more than price.

Mainly I'm wondering if my experience is an anomaly or do they have a reputation.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I have no experience from them.
My picks for dealers that we have bought from are Freightliner of Knoxville, KW of Indy, or KW of Jacksonville.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter

I'll keep you guys posted, the truck should be ready by Monday. I hope
it is because I don't want to have "To go to the matresses" with them.

Of course if they pull off a customer service cou, I'll let you guys know.

PS - They quoted me 5.65% on the rate from Toyota. I hope that hasn't gone up also in the last 60 days.

I'll update on Tuesday after I talk to them.

bigguy1001

Expert Expediter
RE: Hino Trucks and why I bought 1 and ordered the

exp10years, if your van body exceeds 18 feet, with your 96" sleeper, your Hino frame is being stretched, period. Regardless of what your dealer may be saying. Until 2010, when Hino's new factory in Arkansas opens, the longest wheelbase available from the factory is 271 inches. Most expedite set ups are built on 300 inch, or so, wheelbases. At this time, all Hino's must have a frame stretch to accomadate a 96" bunk. You can build a 48" bunk/22' box or a 60" bunk/22' box without stretching the frame and the rear axle will be within the range it should be relative to the van body. Any bunk bigger than that. w/o a frame stretch, and your rear axle will be too far forward relative to the van body. You can't argue with physics.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
RE: Hino Trucks and why I bought 1 and ordered the

Most of the Hino trucks I have seen in Canada are used mainly for local p/d work.

Now, in my opinion only, I don't consider the Hino trucks a proven product in terms of OTR use.

garman351

Expert Expediter

I would like to thank all of you wonderful People for the valuable advise on my quest for a new Hino 338 truck.

I was told Toyoto finance is 7.3/4 right now,but also heard a dealer out in Texas is selling Hino's for around 5.0% I wonder if this is a dealer thing to make more money on a higher % rate instead of offering me the best Toyoto is offering right now, you can bet I will find out here shortly.

Hino's are not yet a proven truck for long haul freight somebody has mentioned. That is true in America, they have been out for around a year now and I have never read any bad posts from any owner's or driver's saying buyer beware etc.

Not enough power some say, well we have a 250Hp Cat motor with a 6-speed that has 530K miles on it and it's been a great truck for six years now, "I know it's a cat motor" But it's had enough power to get the job done. I was told the new Hino's are rated at 260hp but feel more like around 300hp the way they feel driving them?

No resale value: Time will tell how that shakes out. If it's becomes a provin truck that will go the distance it could be the greatest bargain truck out there, or your worst investment in another four years if they are terrible trucks with a bad rap.

Again Thanks to everybody for your help, I will look forward to hearing the good & bad about these units and I hope to find that dealer who I can report back to you folk's and tell you everything worked out good and we are happy so far.

Garman351

garman351

Expert Expediter

Hello DAVEKE:
Lets get real about this delivery deadline issue, without anything in writing as to delivery times or other written agreements you are "up the creek with out a paddle" I'm no Lawyer but you have so many days to legally cancel a contract! If a dealer says I will promise you by the certain date of this month to deliver your truck or the next month to deliver that unit with out it being in a contract guess what,(SOL) Lets be real when that sales person is bonding with us at the closing were all best friends until they cannot deliver on most of what they are telling you, because they depend on other venders to come through on their promises telling your salesman yes it will be completed by your customers date they demand it. Those venders will say anything to get the businees, especially when they know you have signed the papers.
But the reality is they have their problems depending on their venders to come through delivering those parts to complete your order as they WERE promised.

Once the contracts are signed and several days goes by when you start to get concerned or "UPSET" about your delivery date. Sorry Dude thats just the way it is, it really is not fair to you, but what can you do about it! (Nothing)

As far as paying to much, what can we all say except next time you will know better to shop around for that fair deal, or ask your fellow brother & Sisters on this wonderful informational web-site to help you out!

Also a special thanks to the monitering person who was quick to erase my sh-- or other words I was trying to use to get my point across during my "preview" before I finally hit the "post message" My words were changed quicker than my spell checker. Was my text & sentence structure meet your approval!!!!! I did print out my reply after my posting to make sure it does not simply disapear and be told "It happens"

garman351