Hino truck question

[email protected]

Rookie Expediter
I have three Hino 268's. My 2007 model has a strong vibration at a low idle. I feel it might e the damper pulley. How is the best way to remove the damper. Do I need to remove the radiator? And do I need a puller?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have three Hino 268's. My 2007 model has a strong vibration at a low idle. I feel it might e the damper pulley. How is the best way to remove the damper. Do I need to remove the radiator? And do I need a puller?

Hi there.

First, I've never seen a damper or pulley fail. But anything is possible.

Remove CAC hoses. Drain enough out of the radiator to take the top radiator hose off of the radiator. Get a 55 gallon drum and a couch cushion or something, and set it under the hood. Remove bolts from the fan shroud brace. Remove the nuts on the top of the two radiator support bars (the diagonal bars). Allow the hood to rest on the drum and cushion. This will allow the radiator to tip forward a few inches, and it'll give you a lot more room. Remove cooling fan. Remove belt. There are six bolts holding balancer on. 12 pt, 17mm I think. You can generally fit a 1/2" impact down in the hole to zip the bolts out. No puller needed. Actually, it'll try to fall off and hit the floor, so be careful.

Find another long bolt of the same thread pitch. Cut the head off, grind the end to a dull point. Screw that into the topmost hole. Slide the balancer onto this bolt, that'll keep you from dropping it on your face or in your crotch or smashing your fingers trying to get it lined up (dowel pin means it only goes on one way.)
I think the torque spec is 89 ft-lbs to reinstall it. Oil the threads.

If the belt has been chirping or squealing, the belt tensioner is probably gone (early ones were prone to failure). Replace now while it's easy to get to.

Since you've done 90% of the work to get to the water pump, see if it's leaking from the weep hole. If it is, replace it. The balancer has to come off to replace the water pump.