Hino misfire #2 and #6

TMAR

New Recruit
Mechanic
258ALP - J08E TV engine, 291004 Miles, developed a misfire on #2. Sent to dealer and they confirmed and said Hino says all injectors need replacement. OK, I asked what's the compression on #2, they didn't know I said I would not replace any injectors until I knew. They checked cyl #1 & #2 - 475 psi - ok. They replaced #2 only so I could drive and make sure it was OK. It was not really ok. I did drive back to the shop (70 miles) and ordered 5 more injectors from Hino. Installed them and sent back to Hino to have them registered and all adaptations cleared. Ran great!! 50 miles from Hino it tried a regen and has run poor since then. Misfiring on both #2 and #6 for sure. DRR keeps climbing and tries to regen and when I force regen the exhaust brake closes and it won't regen.
Any help, any thoughts? Thank you

CEL bulb checks just fine. Start and misfire does not set CEL and no DTCs

I ohm'ed the entire injector circuits ecu-connector, connector through injector to power supply side. All the same and correct.
Moved #1 injector to #2 and visa versa - same thing. Check comp - myself - 450+ - ok
The injector from #2 was heavily carboned. I believe there is a problem with the DPR system as the DPR is building and up to 5 bars and wants to regen. How does the regen work on this model? I believe there is a regen issue. Can you help?

OK, so I found there is no high pressure coming out of #2 nipple of the high pressure manifold (probably called something else) but there is no fuel coming out and going to #2 injector. Can I remove these nipples and see if the problem follows (of course it will) or replace the high pressure manifold? I would like to know more, please enlighten.

Last edited:

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yes you can remove the flow dampers and inspect them for debris. If you have replaced 6 injectors, you should of had them adjust the exhaust brake at the dealer when you had them program the trim codes. You need to monitor the injection quantity and set it to 12mm-14mm for that vintage. You will need to communicate with the engine to do this. When replacing the injectors it usually changes the inj quantity. The injectors and exhaust brake are what control the temp for regens. If your old injectors were over fueling and your exhaust brake adjustment was off it likely overheated your DPR filter. When your DPR filter gets plugged it asks for more frequent regens. You have alot going on by the sounds of it. If I was you would be 100% sure you torqued the fuel return line under the valve cover to 115 inch pounds, and replaced all of the washers. The fuel return leakage pipe needs to be replaced every time it is removed. Otherwise you will have fuel/oil dillusion and it will cost you a new engine. If you don't believe me go on ebay and look at how many Penske units there are for sale needing engines. They dont understand the importance of this. If you do not feel fuel pulsing from the #2 fuel line remove the complete common rail assembly, disassemble it and clean it all out. There may be a piece of debris lodged in the flow damper for the #2 inj. Then reinstall the common rail. Now that that is done I would inspect the tailpipe for black heavy soot, if there is soot in the tailpipe your DPR filter is junk. If not, start the truck and press the regen button in the dash. Will the bars drop and the unit complete a regen? You said there are NO codes?? Report back with findings.
NOTE The truck will ask for a manual regen at 5 bars. you need at least 3 bars to perform a manual regen with the dash button. If the regen completes the vars will drop to 0
PM me a VIN and i can check history on this unit.

TMAR

New Recruit
Mechanic
HINO123.
Thank you so much. I will replace the fuel line and seals/washers before any driving and make sure all is ok there.
I will remove the common rail assem and inspect/clean and re-install. One thing that worries me is this lack of fuel going to destroy this new injector installed in cyl #2 by my Hino dealer 70 miles away? I'm not sure what's up, yet, with cyl #6 and it's misfire. There is plenty of fuel from the common rail and I'll have to work through this as I go along. First things first. I may put the injectors just moved in cyl #1 & #2 back in their original places as if this injector is hurt from being lean I will look for warranty help. I have no problem registering injectors so this will work out just fine.
I have Hino software and the Nexiq usb link 2. I can do most of what is needed with some knowledgeable help..
I began with Cat and then went to cars and light trucks for the past 40 years. I understand and use numerous factory scan tools and pretty much get it.
DPF was removed and cleaned last week and not melted. It was baked clean and went to a 3 out of 5. The company cleaning it stated a 3 was about as clean as they get so I'm hoping this will survive.
I will PM you directly.
Thank you again

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Update... broken pieces of spring from the fuel supply pump were found lodged in the #2 and #6 flow dampers. TMAR cleaned the rail/dampers. Reinstalled the rail, ran a regen and the truck is running fine. He will be replacing the pump shortly as a precautionary measure.

Reactions: greasytshirt

rgf451

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
How is the exhaust brake adjusted? I ask because I am about to replace all the injectors in one of my trucks.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
You would need a dealer to do it, or anyone with Hino DX, DX2 software or a Denso DST-I interface tool. Essentially the same software you will need to program the trim codes in the ECU. You need to look at Injection quantity with and without the exhaust brake on. On the newer stuff that has the latest software level you need to start a manual regen to adjust it. If you have the capibiltys I can walk you though the process.

rgf451

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
You would need a dealer to do it, or anyone with Hino DX, DX2 software or a Denso DST-I interface tool. Essentially the same software you will need to program the trim codes in the ECU. You need to look at Injection quantity with and without the exhaust brake on. On the newer stuff that has the latest software level you need to start a manual regen to adjust it. If you have the capibiltys I can walk you though the process.
I do have the DX2 software. I am in the process of putting the injectors in now, so maybe tuesday/wednesday I would be ready to adjust that exhaust brake. Thanks for the help!

SIDHUAMRIT

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
MY 2012 HINO 268 KEEPS DOING A REGEN EVERY 250 KMS,I PUT NEW DPR AND SCR,NEW BURNER DOSER IGNITERS AND FLAME SENSOR BUT STILL SAME ISSUE

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It is normal for those to do a regen every 100 or so miles. You're within the normal range. Do you ever have to do a manual regen? If you do, how long do they take?