Hino Drivers or O/O

bentleytech1

Seasoned Expediter
I have been doing my due-diligence now for over 3 years. Have found a couple of trucks that I think will fit the budget, and the need. I know that there are a lot of people bad mouthing Hino for expediting, but I also know that there are several people running these trucks, so..........here are my questions:

1. What kind of mileage do you expect out of the engines before major maint. like bottom end rebuilds?
2. What kind of loaded and unloaded fuel mileage are you experiencing? (I know that there are lots of things that factor into this, but just an idea)
3. Do you feel like they have enough power for driving at conservative speeds and loads?
4. General experience with getting them serviced?

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have almost 1 million miles on my 338 without a rebuild. We use 1 gal of oil every 15k miles. Get about 9mpg
Most of ours troubles have been caused by mechanics who dont care.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using EO Forums mobile app

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
We drove a Hino for about 9 months for an owner. It was brand new. It wasn't very powerful pulling up mountains and the seats were extremely uncomfortable. They gave me a lot of shoulder problems. Mechanically, we never had issues really. It was brand new though.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I have been doing my due-diligence now for over 3 years. Have found a couple of trucks that I think will fit the budget, and the need. I know that there are a lot of people bad mouthing Hino for expediting, but I also know that there are several people running these trucks, so..........here are my questions:

1. What kind of mileage do you expect out of the engines before major maint. like bottom end rebuilds?
2. What kind of loaded and unloaded fuel mileage are you experiencing? (I know that there are lots of things that factor into this, but just an idea)
3. Do you feel like they have enough power for driving at conservative speeds and loads?
4. General experience with getting them serviced?

I'm a Hino mechanic, and I have some input.

1. If they're taken care of, they'll go a million. Most of the ones that I work on are from small fleets and they're rotated out of service before the mileage gets astronomical. We have seen some ratty, disgusting trucks with close to a million on them, with the only maintenance being keeping coolant in it and changing the oil (apparently).

They don't like being overheated numerous times. The radiator fins ought to be cleaned annually because they trap tons of debris.

2. I don't drive for a living, so I can't comment.

3. They aren't incredibly powerful. Going up a mountain pass is gonna be an exercise in patience. For most other stuff, they'll do just fine.

4. I've seen some work from other mechanics that's straight-up disappointing. When the Japanese designed this thing, they kind of assumed that their instructions for fixing and maintaining it would be followed. Ha!

Everything on the truck except for the engine, cab, and wiring is made from American components. Engine, cab, computers and wiring are all Japanese. All of the chassis stuff is all things that mechanics are familiar with, so that won't be a problem. Engine work, diagnosis, and emissions systems stuff is probably best handled by a dealer, but some dealers are much better than others.