Hino cracked cam housing

chop

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi Everyone
we just put a new head gasket on our 2007 hino j08c motor and it was running great for about a week and a half when we noticed it was leaking a little bit of oil.When we inspected the leak we noticed a piece of the cam housing has broken away at the rear of the motor and exposing the gasket.
Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any ideas what may have caused this?
thank you

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I've not seen damage like that. I've seen severe damage to the cam housing when the engine drops a valve, or when something comes apart in the gear drive. But not what you're describing.

It sounds like someone dropped it on the floor and didn't say anything.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

chop

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
thanks for the reply. i can see why they wouldn't say anything i just priced a new one and they not cheap wow $4600.00 au just for the housing.
i will try and put a picture up of it later

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
thanks for the reply. i can see why they wouldn't say anything i just priced a new one and they not cheap wow $4600.00 au just for the housing.
i will try and put a picture up of it later

WOW. Here they're like $1800, I think.

Reactions: Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
$1900 at my shop.
Are you 100% the timing is correct?
Was the head resufaced at a machine shop?
Finally do you know id the rear idler gear was removed from the head? I have never seen one crack, id be digging a little deeper to find the root cause before I threw a $4800 cam housing in there.

Reactions: greasytshirt