Hino 338 Info

big guy

Expert Expediter
I've been looking at the Hino 338 and am a little concerned about the pulling power of the 260hp engine over the mountains. Does anyone have any info on the quality of this

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do a search for Hino and you'll find several threads discussing them. The warranty is excellent but the engine output is low for both hp and torque. They may be great expediter trucks but the Missouri part of me will have to see the track record.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If i was planning on running in the mountains i would want something with than 260 ponies and 6 gears. Just me though.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Jeff Brown at Churney is selling these and might be able to provide some references of folks driving them now. Additionally, if in Cleveland, you might be able to test drive one.
Their number is on the advertisement here on EO.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They do seem to be catching on. 6 months ago you hardly ever saw one, now I see several a day.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm unfamiliar with the Hino dealer often mentioned here who is building expediting trucks. I met a solo female driver on the road who was driving a brand new Hino. I asked her about how it performed on hills. She had no complaints and told me about a button she can push to get the power she needs. It was a hurried conversation at a loading dock. We did not go into it further.

The only bad rap I've seen mentioned about the Hino is the low power numbers some have cited. But from this gal with the magic button, there was no trouble at all.

The dealer in question could do much to overcome the "low power on hills" objection by setting up a hill-climbing test drive with one or more drivers who could report the results here, like the reviews you see in the larger trucking magazines.

Are there any good-size hills near the Expo site? How about some real fun? Let's scale a bunch of trucks, document their specs, let them take turns with the same 10,000 lbs load, time their runs up a big hill and publish the results in a spreadsheet for all to see.

If the Hino finished average or even in the bottom 1/3 but not in last place, that would help folks overcome the "low power on hills" objection and help the dealer sell more trucks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The power for hills isn't the only thing to consider. The max speed is either 74 or 76 depending on transmission. That is over the limit in almost all states however if one runs much in the south or west of the Mississippi the limit is often 70. That's over 90% of the max so the engine is spinning awfully hard and sucking a lot of fuel. What effect will that near redline running have on engine longevity? The warranty presumably protects against huge repair bills if the engine spins itself to death but the warranty doesn't generate any revenue or pay any other bills while the engine is being rebuilt.

It might be enlightening to research a 36 month fleece on a Hino, a Sterling, a T300 and M2. Comparing the payments and residual percentages might give good insight into the expectations about the various trucks. The Missourian in me is still watching.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Good luck finding a steep hill in central Ohio Phil. .....I looked over one of the new Hino Expeditors at a J in Georgia but the driver(s) had the curtains pulled so I never got a chance to talk to them. It sure looked like a well thought out setup to me. I guess the horsepower thing could be a problem but it wasn't all that long ago that most trucks had less than 250HP. Come to think of it, maybe it was and I'm just getting old.

Asilynot

Seasoned Expediter
To any and all with questions about the HINO 338, I have been running a Hino 338 for about 4 months now and will be at the expo this week. Look me up and I will answer any and all questions to the best of my ability, I will be in the booth for Interstate Truck Source, no I am not a salesman, just a satisfied customer who has agreed to go with Robert the salesman to answer questions pretaining to the Hino as I see it in the expediting field. By the way for those who dont know me My name is Tony, I am a small fleet owner signed on with Panther for the last 4 years.