Hino 338 Engine Break Usage

Delmolino

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 2011 Hino 338 that I use for trash removal services and the truck experiences a lot of stop and go usage and little to no highway miles. Recently I have been getting a SCR malfunction and a P204F, P0410, and P0410 codes come up and the truck will run sluggish. The code can be temporarily cleared and the truck will run fine for a day or few days until the SCR malfunction comes back on. This last time when I checked on the truck myself the driver had the engine break on and had ran with it on all day (not switching it on and off as needed). Even at idle while the truck was parked the engine break light was on and you can hear the difference in how the engine sounds. Since this last time clearing I informed the driver to go without using the engine break to see how the truck runs and nothing has come up and the truck has been running fine(couple days of running it). Is it advised to run the trucks with the brake on non-stop or should he just be using it when coming down steep hills with a full load on the truck? Are these codes, SCR and engine break correlated or is this just a coincidence? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Is it advised to run the trucks with the brake on non-stop or should he just be using it when coming down steep hills with a full load on the truck? Are these codes, SCR and engine break correlated or is this just a coincidence? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The exhaust brake will interfere with how this truck regens, so at the very least I'd avoid using the exhaust brake while that's occurring. The constant stop and go driving with this vehicle is going to challenge the burner, I imagine. It's separate from the P204F issue.

P204F is an SCR malfunction. A bunch of things can cause this. Often, it's a failing DEF injector or NOx sensor, but certainly not always. There are more trouble codes that you've yet to pull.

You'll definitely want to make sure that the computers on this truck have all of the latest software updates. Quite a bit of reliability has come from software updates.

Delmolino

Seasoned Expediter
A new injector was installed just this past week and the NOx injector was replaced just about one year ago plus the truck should have received any software updates last week. I will monitor the situation and let you know if the malfunction comes back up. Thank you for the response.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A new injector was installed just this past week and the NOx injector was replaced just about one year ago plus the truck should have received any software updates last week. I will monitor the situation and let you know if the malfunction comes back up. Thank you for the response.
You need to retrieve the codes from the DCU.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app