hino 338 change def warning on

modracer

New Recruit
Mechanic
I worked on a hino 338 2012 i believe. first time working on a hino. It had the def warning light on dash that said change def to normal with key on engine off. also had a engine symbol on the dash with a line through it for def quality. I have the older version of the hino dx software. the code was P207f abnormality of def solution quality and the truck was derating. i checked the def quality on the gauge it was about 33.0%urea just right above 32.5%. I completely drained the def tank anyway and filled it with new fresh def. (both def fill ups were from ryder and have not had any other issues with def quality on any other units). I then cleared the code and figured out how to reset the def history in the hino software to get the lights all off. I let the truck run for about an hour, also ran a regen, then test drove it 30 miles with no issues. the customer picked up the truck and ran a little over a 100 miles and the same thing has happened, hope he made it back to the shop this evening. Should i have changed the def filter? (My boss ordered a filter this time) Truck has 189000 miles on it, i dont know when it was last changed. Also is there a def quality sensor in the tank that could have failed? Or could it be a issue with the def tank header? The only thing the code said to do was change the def. I don't want the customer having a problem a 3rd time. Thanks!!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
In 2014 they got DEF quality sensors. For 2011-2013 the truck makes a calculation of DEF quality by comparing the amount of DEF used to the amount of NOx reduction.
Check the DEF injector using the DEF addition test function. The quantity should be correct with all three tests, and it should have a good spray pattern. If this looks good, set the soot to 2.3, start the engine, push the manual regen button, the go into the ECU and look at NOx sensor voltages. It takes a few minutes for everything to warm up, so be patient. There will be a big voltage spike initially, but the voltages should settle quickly. If you see oscillation in the sensors, replace them. The latest version part number ends in E0451. Earlier sensors ended with E0450 and 0020. Any older sensor should get replaced.