Hino 268 Air Issue

Bzidger

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Hey everyone, searched as much as possible online and couldn't find much specifically about this issue.

We have a hino 268 here at work, and are having issues building any pressure in the tanks. We get air at the air dryer in that black drum, but only occasionally will get the smallest amount of pressure at the two tanks. I'm leaning towards the governor but we cannot see or feel any leaks near the dryer or any other lines.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I would remove the discharge line from the inlet of the Air drier assembly.This would be the large line coming in. I would then run the truck and inspect the line for signs oil heavy oil and be sure the air compressor is capable of compressing air. That will split the system in half. If it builds air and has plenty of pressure you know its an issue somewhere downstream of the air compressor. If it will not build at all it is most likely a mechanical issue with the air compressor. From my experience I very rarely and almost never see air compressor failures on Hinos. If you go to the Bendix website they have great troubleshooting manuals available for free. You do not mention what year your truck is but Its most likely an AD-IS or AD-IP air drier. Just google both, see what one looks like yours and try the bendix website for a troubleshooting manual. Let me know if you need further assistance and if you find the issue. Thanks

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I see now it says you have pressure in your wet tank. I would drain it, replace the cartridge. Then see what happens. If your in a cold climate the cartridge could be frozen not enough details to figure that out. Filters are cheap and it could probably use one anyways. I usually recommend replacement every 2yrs depending on application. Usually annually for rollbacks.

Bzidger

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Yeah sorry for a lack of details. After googling it is an AD-IS. Just earlier today pulled the whole air dryer. Replaced the cartridge and governor while I was at it (huge pain an -17 ambient). There was ice in the large fitting to the back but still not getting any air to the tanks and can't hear a leak anywhere. I'll take a look at the diagnostics. I had some downloaded before but they didn't have much for help. Thanks for the advice!