Hino 185 Rear Engine Seal Help

skegpro

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
So I picked up a used 185 in Sudbury, ON.

Made it 1000km to Thunderbay,ON when I noticed that the rear engine seal was leaking something fierce.

Is there a known cause for this problem?

I cut a hole in the crank case vent hose and noticed there was some significant pressure. Could this have pushed the rear engine seal out?

Are the PCV know to fail or freeze?

What should I be looking for?

Also noticed I was getting some turbo surge and some weird blow noises I could hear in the airbox...........

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I picked up a used 185 in Sudbury, ON.

Made it 1000km to Thunderbay,ON when I noticed that the rear engine seal was leaking something fierce.

Is there a known cause for this problem?

I cut a hole in the crank case vent hose and noticed there was some significant pressure. Could this have pushed the rear engine seal out?

Are the PCV know to fail or freeze?

What should I be looking for?

Also notice I was getting some turbo surge and some weird blow noises I could hear in the airbox...........

Be patient. The replies will come from our resident Hino mechanics greasytshirt and Hino123. They have a wealth of information. If you can’t wait feelfree to send them a PM and ask away.

skegpro

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
Be patient. The replies will come from our resident Hino mechanics greasytshirt and Hino123. They have a wealth of information. If you can’t wait feelfree to send them a PM and ask away.
I'll stand by, thx.

I was also reading that it maybe a turbo seal leak.....

All I know is I don't want to replace the rear engine seal and just to have this happen again.

Reactions: Treadmill

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
What year is this 185? The PCV system on the later trucks give few problems. Is something clogging one of the lines? Excess pressure in the crankcase can push a seal out, but this would be an unusual occurrence. How much blowby is coming out of the vent?

skegpro

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
What year is this 185? The PCV system on the later trucks give few problems. Is something clogging one of the lines? Excess pressure in the crankcase can push a seal out, but this would be an unusual occurrence. How much blowby is coming out of the vent?
It's a 2010.
Seems to be a bit of blowby forsure.
I think something froze and then pushed the rear seal out.
I put a slit in the hose incase I happens again it will push out the hose and not the rear seal.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Does it run normally or does it misfire or shake? Well, all the 4 cylinder trucks shake at idle, but does it seem to run correctly? High blowby can be a result of a scuffed piston, that would be bad news.