Hijackings in Kingman and our Panic Button

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
The recent hijackings by escaped prisoners in Kingman, AZ has gotten me to thinking about our panic button. Why? For a while there we had a crack in our QC dome and a couple of times when we got a truck wash our panic button was set off. It was how FDCC responded that got me to questioning. They called on the phone to see if we were all right. So, if you have a hijacker sitting in the seat next to you and your phone starts ringing . . . what are you going to say?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We've wondered about this one too.......and with the maturity of some of the dispatchers being in question, having that button doesn't really add any confidence. The 55 "emergency" message on the c-link isn't a consideration in the scenario you post either. Guess we'll just have to wing it!

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would put more faith in a can of wasp spray or my 4 "D" Cell Mag light. I would say my .357 but we are not allowed to defend ourselves in that manner. Too effective, it takes away a criminals "right" to earn a living!! :p:eek:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That button works better when you are under specific loads where the button is part of the service offered to the customer on a particular load.

Having used it and the 55 macro not under such loads and learning what the response is like, we do not rely on them for anything. 911 is the better first call in an emergency when you are not under a true panic button load, and even then, I would not wait for a repsonse to the button before calling 911 if a true emergency existed.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
During Hazmat class yesterday we had a session with Boo on Gov't loads and requirements. I asked about what the response is supposed to be to the panic button and it seems that sending an 'is everything ok?" message is the first response. No reply gets a phone call, and if no answer, then the truck location is determined and local LEO's are notified. Qualcomm also calls to alert dispatchers to the panic button activation, and if on SMS the DTTS will also call to alert dispatch.

All things considered, press the button if you can, then call 911 yourself if possible, depending on the nature of the emergency.

I still think the response should involve black helicopters and ninjas, but....