Hid headlights

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know what the rules are for installing hid headlights in tractor trailer or straight truck for that matter. Cant find anything in the fmscr books.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You won't find it in the FMCSA greeny BUT it is simple.

If you retrofit a light system from another LIKE model truck then it is legal. For example if you own a 2006 Volvo 670 and you put in the lights from a 2009 volvo 660 - then it is legal. The same light unit sits at the same height and width with the same pattern.

If you retrofit the truck (like mine which uses old style lamp 6154) with an HID unit that meets the DOT requirements (there is one or two in the country), then it is legal.

BUT you can not use a HID conversion kit that is from eBay or use the HID E type lamps legally, they do not shape the light properly and/or have the proper cut off that is needed to meet the DOT regulations.

See it is that simple.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
NP.
I wish it was simpler and the DOT would harmonize the regulations for lighting with the EU, they have better lighting and far ahead of the lighting game than we are. I have several HID kits I got, some work great for the spot and backup lights while others just plain suck. I did a test with my caravan last summer and I could not get the height cutoff right so I gave up. Since I got a set of LED headlights from GM that I'm going to cut up and try out, pretty cool if we would all go to LED.

Seasoned Expediter
Just an update on these headlights. I have had done friday 02/18/2011 a level one inspection at dot facility just outside tampa,florida. Required by my insurance carrier. The truck is 2011 lonestar i purchased this tractor from person retiring. Make a long story short this truck has had hid headlights installed but i was not aware of it. Passed inspection with no mention of these lights and the fog lights are hid also. This was on overcast day late in afternoon and when they turned on the lights it was very very obivious they were hid lights. I was not going to say anything but i will be delivering cars to atlanta,ga at times so thought i better ask. Got all my paperwork came around and parked truck went inside to ask they both told they knew they were hid and not doing nothing about.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Of course they are acceptable, they are factory lights. The manufacturer has to abide by specific specs when engineering the lighting system and hence the allowance of retrofitting HID (and LED) lights to a like vehicle.

Seasoned Expediter
greg,

these are the aftermarket kind like from ebay not factory. im am trying to find out why he remove the factory headlamps.

bayouhotshot

Seasoned Expediter
I run the 10k HIDs in my 06 freightliner and never had a problem the only thing i can bitxh about is the heat has turned the lights leans yellow they are nolonger clear
I have had cops say i beat you can see with them lights but thats all