Hey, I saw you were on EO...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a phone call at 0700 yesterday morning because someone saw that I was on EO and they wouldn't be waking me up. I wasn't on EO and didn't have a browser open on my 'puter.

So, just how does all that work?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a phone call at 0700 yesterday morning because someone saw that I was on EO and they wouldn't be waking me up. I wasn't on EO and didn't have a browser open on my 'puter.

So, just how does all that work?

Because if you don't actually log out...it shows you online for quite a few hours after your last post....I usually click on someones name and you can see the last time they clinked...

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
...plus every single browser and mobile device has their own way of saying - "hey, this session is closed, we are gone now, bye-bye". If there is not any activity for a couple hours - we boot you anyway. :p

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, by 0700 it would have been way more than a couple hours since I posted anything. It would just seem like the minimal standard for showing someone as "on line" would be that they're actually on line. But, with no browser open and my EO app not active...

While this wasn't a big deal at 0700, 0300 would have been different. And, I really couldn't be mad at the caller that thought they were working with accurate info.

Scott, it was the person on the other phone.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, by 0700 it would have been way more than a couple hours since I posted anything. It would just seem like the minimal standard for showing someone as "on line" would be that they're actually on line. But, with no browser open and my EO app not active...

While this wasn't a big deal at 0700, 0300 would have been different. And, I really couldn't be mad at the caller that thought they were working with accurate info.

Scott, it was the person on the other phone.

I agree...I wish the system was a shorter time that it shows you at the bottom of the page....because some people don't know to just CLICK on the USERNAME and see the time of LAST ACTIVITY....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I see someone online and want to call them at odd hours, I will generally only do so within a few minutes of their most recent post. Just seeing them listed at the bottom of the screen as being online doesn't necessarily mean anything.

A closed computer browser isn't likely to "keep alive" an active connection, but an inactive phone app might, depending on the alert settings in the app and what kind of background checks it does for updated postings and PMs.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think the phone app is what causes it....somehow. If I use the laptop, I always log out. But, since I've been using the app, the same scenario has been mentioned to me. I think it may have even been mentioned by the OP? :D