Here WE GO!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IT'S time to hunt ducks! I put the boat and decoys in to the water today! The layout boat is going into the water tomorrow. Saturday we are having a birthday party for my Dad, he will be 92 on Sunday. Sunday it's out onto Lake Erie for our first crack at layout hunting. The ducks are not yet down in great numbers, BUT, there are 40-50K within an hours flight of where we hunt. It's only a matter of time till they show up.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I hear maybe some cooler weather coming then a slight warm up for next week.. They may filter in slowly this year.. Not looking forward to it here but Canada can freeze over any day now. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hear maybe some cooler weather coming then a slight warm up for next week.. They may filter in slowly this year.. Not looking forward to it here but Canada can freeze over any day now. :)

It is not out of the norm for large numbers to show up all at once. The traditional "show up" day was Oct 30th. I have been on the Lake when it "started". Laying out it the boat, NOTHING going on, and all at once several thousand birds arrive. It is a sight to see.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
and all at once several thousand birds arrive. It is a sight to see.

And a confusing one when they drop in on ya. Many guys have flocked busted and never hit a bird. They cant pick just one and stay on it. Many hunt all their life and never see birds like that come in.. I seen the geese and Mallards do it many times..The fly off is another amazing sight especially when sitting on a small body of water.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And a confusing one when they drop in on ya. Many guys have flocked busted and never hit a bird. They cant pick just one and stay on it. Many hunt all their life and never see birds like that come in.. I seen the geese and Mallards do it many times..The fly off is another amazing sight especially when sitting on a small body of water.

Yeah, it can be hard to stay on one bird when many come in. I will keep you in the loop, I want to get you out on the Lake this season. Nov has been best lately.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
15 days till Trapping season in Iowa....heading home now for prep work..... Fur prices are really low this year.... But I don't it for the money......it is truly My one addiction..... Lol

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Fur prices are really low this year.... But I don't it for the money......it is truly My one addiction..... Lol

We where just talking about trapping the other day and a buddy said prices where up. I know nothing about it.. Could it be prices are up for the finished furs and not for the trapper?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We where just talking about trapping the other day and a buddy said prices where up. I know nothing about it.. Could it be prices are up for the finished furs and not for the trapper?

Prices will be at basement prices...finished fur from last year still sitting at auction houses....some of largest buyers have 50,000 raccoon hides left over...smaller state buyers have lost their business... Bankruptcy..... Never believe Fur,Fish & Game magazine......

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
So it is rabbit season.. I have my mind stuck on Oct 20th must be because of pheasant season.. I never was one to read the rule book..lol

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So it is rabbit season.. I have my mind stuck on Oct 20th must be because of pheasant season.. I never was one to read the rule book..lol

You are remembering several decades ago. ALL small game used to open on Oct 20. I don't even know what year it was that it changed.

I don't hunt small game any more. There is just not the game there was when I was young. Modern farming practices have all but wiped out the habitat, along with stupid malls, amusement parks and golf courses.

I can remember in the late 60's - early 70's, being able to jump 20-30 pheasants at day, WITHOUT a dog! Rabbits out the kazoo and QUAIL. I don't even know if there are ANY quail left around here.

Any bets that the Humane Society will blame hunters on the lack of small game?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
As kids we could hunt all day right where M-14 is now and never see a single soul out there.. That use to be a honey hole for rabbits. Up and down Schoolcraft rd, Plymouth Rd by the Ford plant in Livonia.. And almost all of Novi.Those days are gone.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As kids we could hunt all day right where M-14 is now and never see a single soul out there.. That use to be a honey hole for rabbits. Up and down Schoolcraft rd, Plymouth Rd by the Ford plant in Livonia.. And almost all of Novi.Those days are gone.

That's the problem with progress. I remember going horseback riding in Southfield at 12 mile rd and Evergreen.