HELP with Ferry Info

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
I'm presently in Washington State making my way toward the coast. I need to go to Vancouver Island. My GPS tells me to take 20 west then 2 ferries to Victoria. I'm thinking that ONE ferry from Port Angeles might be cheaper/quicker. can't seem to find commercial info on ferry website or any rate info. any advice???? Anyone can tell me shortest/ cheapest route would be most appreciated ! Thanks and be safe !:)

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I don't think you can get to Victoria from Port Angeles, as far as I know that route is foot traffic only. You would need to use the Anacortes terminal with WA state Ferries or make a land crossing into Vancouver and use the Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay route on BC Ferries. The fares are roughly the same for a 40' truck, if you are less than that it might be cheaper using BC ferries as they charge by the foot rather than the under 20', 30', or 40' etc that WA state ferries seems to. Another plus on BC ferries is you commercial traffic can reserve space online. Do you have a scheduled port to clear customs?

Here's a couple links

Washington State Ferries - Fares

https://welcome.bcferries.com/rbi/index.asp?RT=CVG

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
The website for the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria is Port Angeles Vehicle & Passenger Ferry to Victoria, BC - Olympic Peninsula ferry service.. Price is $50.00 plus $4.25 per lineal foot over 18'. Hope this helps. How were you looking at getting to Port Angeles? Do you realize that there is a toll bridge to cross the Hood Canal?
If you get the chance to go to Port Angeles make sure and eat some Dungeness crab. (I'm drooling just thinking about it.)

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I stand corrected, must be the Victoria based one I was thinking of. Isn't Tacoma Narrows toll as well?

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Since you are asking a question on this site I will assume you have a commercial shipment on your truck. You must clear it through Customs first. Where are you set up to clear?
Many border crossings are not equipped to handle commercial clearances.
I suggest that you ignore your GPS which obviously doesn't see border crossings.

You must report and clear your shipment which will likely be done at the Pacific Highway Border Crossing. From there you will proceed to Vancouver and take the ferry from North Vancouver to Vancouver Island.

Always remember that commercial shipments must be cleared correctly otherwise you will be sitting for a long time (undoubtly b*tching about Customs and the stupid Customs Broker) or having to drive back to the border to the proper spot.

I hope this helps.

I'm presently in Washington State making my way toward the coast. I need to go to Vancouver Island. My GPS tells me to take 20 west then 2 ferries to Victoria. I'm thinking that ONE ferry from Port Angeles might be cheaper/quicker. can't seem to find commercial info on ferry website or any rate info. any advice???? Anyone can tell me shortest/ cheapest route would be most appreciated ! Thanks and be safe !:)

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
So glad you brought sanity back to the answer. I read the question, smelled perfume of salt air and papermills, and disappeared into lala land. Homesickness strikes again.