Help on my Detroit Diesel Series 50

C

Cefaress

Hello everyone, I'm new here on forum and I need your help.
I have a Detroit Series 50 (Diesel) that knock at 1450 -1500 rpm. At the last service, they have completely overhauled the engine, replaced one injector, replaced the camshaft on the valve train, clearance checked the timing gears (all within specs), new head. Still have the same exact noise as before and the men from service said they found no damage in pistons, pins, cannot figure it out.

Somebody told me to use a dish tool to cut out injectors,and if i need to isolate the cylinder that has the knock, it sounds like an injector causing the issue once I can isolate swap the suspected cut injector with another cylinder, all injectors should be changed at time of overhauls. Or I'll risk damage to the overhauls engine. I know that an injector only has a life span of 500,000 miles.

Do you think is too difficult? What you recomend me, to buy the service manual for my truck [TradeBit.Com] and to save money by repairing it myself, or you recommend me to go on a proffesional service and to solve this problem.

Thank you for your attention!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The issue with injector problems is that they have to pull them and send them out to test them. If you feel that the garage has done a good job checking things like the rods, mains, and valve train for knocks then replacing all of the injectors might be the next step. Have you had an oil sample tested to see if there are any issues like excessive metal?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Do you think is too difficult? What you recomend me, to buy the service manual for my truck [TradeBit.Com] and to save money by repairing it myself, or you recommend me to go on a proffesional service and to solve this problem.

Thank you for your attention!

How much did this complete overhaul cost you? If the effort was made to renew all of the wear parts of the engine, it should also get a complete set of fresh injectors. A leaking injector can seriously damage a piston by causing it to overheat, which in turn can damage the cylinder liner, connecting rod bearing, rod bushing, and even the connecting rod itself.