Help me build the truck please

zhen jiang

New Recruit
Researching
Hi

Im looking to build a brand new stright truck from kemworth a T880
Having some problem on how should i configure it.

I need to haul 38000 pounds of weight
And the truck weight about 26000 pounds. So in total i need to register the truck for about 64000 pounds.
The truck is 40 feet in length with a 30 feet box.
16000 front axle and two 20000 in the rear. But thats 56000 pounds only.
Whats can i do to make it legal ,add a 20000 pound lift axle?
Also im looking up gvw weight chart on placement of axle but dont really understand it.

Please help me with this.

Thanks alot.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think a straight truck can be registered for that much wieght. I could be wrong but I thought that 57-59K was the most weight.

zhen jiang

New Recruit
Researching
Hi.

I have seen stright box truck with 62000 registered gvw with only 2 axle at the back.
I just like to make sure i build the right truck.
Thanks

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just because you have two 20k axles on the back does not mean you can haul 40k on the rear. Dot reg is no more than 34k on tandem axles. You would need a 4th drop axle

zhen jiang

New Recruit
Researching
Hi.
We have a truck build with 12 front and two 20 in the rear total of 52000 on the door sticker but was able to registered it for 58000.
While hauling about 31500 pounds of load and go through weight stations all the time never any problems.
Dont know why and how.

zhen jiang

New Recruit
Researching
Just because you have two 20k axles on the back does not mean you can haul 40k on the rear. Dot reg is no more than 34k on tandem axles. You would need a 4th drop axle

Hi
A 4th drop axle means an lift axel?
Make it total of 1 front and 3 rear?
What kind of weight can i haul with tri axel in the back?
Im aware of that i can only put 34000 pounds on the rear but what if i have 3 axel at rear?

Thanks

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
No clue. From what I know about tandems max weight is 34k. You could do a 20k front axle and a fourth drop axle. That what most rock haulers are doing with the t880's

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dump trucks often have tandems with a pusher axle and can be 64,000 gvwr

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi
A 4th drop axle means an lift axel?
Make it total of 1 front and 3 rear?
What kind of weight can i haul with tri axel in the back?
Im aware of that i can only put 34000 pounds on the rear but what if i have 3 axel at rear?

Thanks

Read the second link I posted. Scroll all the way down to see single vehicle bridge weights.
It looks like 45k would be your rear with tri axle.

Correct 1front axle three rear

Drop axle lift axle all the same.
Behind the tandem(drive)would be called a pusher axle
In front of tandem(drive) called a tag axle.

Last edited:

zhen jiang

New Recruit
Researching
Read the second link I posted. Scroll all the way down to see single vehicle bridge weights.
It looks like 45k would be your rear with tri axle.

Correct 1front axle three rear

Drop axle lift axle all the same.
Behind the tandem(drive)would be called a pusher axle
In front of tandem(drive) called a tag axle.

Hi

Thanks for the info i have read through it but the placement part really confused me.
I will bring this info to the dealer to have them make sure that i get the right truck build.
Also should i put the lift axle as a pusher or a tag for what i need?

Thanks

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My concern about this set up, is if a 30' box could even handle 38k. I just don't know on that. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Have you talked with a dealer about even specing a truck like this?

zhen jiang

New Recruit
Researching
My concern about this set up, is if a 30' box could even handle 38k. I just don't know on that. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

Have you talked with a dealer about even specing a truck like this?

Hi

As far as weight distribution of the box inside width is 8feet 1in. Which will fit two 40in width pellets side to side with alittle of gap in between and we normally haul the same amount of weight on each pellet or load the lighter ones on the front but always a even number.
Been doing it for 8 years never seen a problem with the box ,yet.

Reactions: TeamHutch

zhen jiang

New Recruit
Researching
No clue. From what I know about tandems max weight is 34k. You could do a 20k front axle and a fourth drop axle. That what most rock haulers are doing with the t880's

Hi

Dealer recommended going up to 16k up front to get away with a smaller tire vs 20Ks big tire in order to have good steering ability in the winter.

Reactions: TeamHutch

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi

Thanks for the info i have read through it but the placement part really confused me.
I will bring this info to the dealer to have them make sure that i get the right truck build.
Also should i put the lift axle as a pusher or a tag for what i need?

Thanks

The dealer will be able to answer whether in front or behind.

In front of tandem is typically used to take weight off the front axle. Behind will push weight on the front axle. With a 16 or 20k front I would think you would need a pusher axle. The dealer will know for sure though

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Just because you register a truck to haul more weight does not mean that the truck is actually capable of handling that much weight. A good example is a tow truck, they are registered for a lot of weight to handle the truck they are towing but they themselves cannot carry that weight.

Why would you want a straight truck to carry that much weight?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My guess.....Rice is heavy.

Different states have different weights allowed per tandem. Also, some allow longer straights.
Your operating area will be a big factor on your build.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Simpler, cheaper if you go with a tractor and short trailer.
12-20-34=66
I'd go 14-34-20 or 16-34-20.