HELLO..IM NEW TO THIS

RyderInfante

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Hello All, My names Kenny. Im getting into Expediting now that my kids are out of the house. I want to buy myself a truck with a nice sleeper cab. Anyone have any suggestions on a reputable dealer out in the Northeast? Im from Philly but Im not finding much in this area. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Solar

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hello All, My names Kenny. Im getting into Expediting now that my kids are out of the house. I want to buy myself a truck with a nice sleeper cab. Anyone have any suggestions on a reputable dealer out in the Northeast? Im from Philly but Im not finding much in this area. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Wrong...wrong...wrong!

Don't do that. Drive for a fleet owner first to see if you even like the lifestyle.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you don’t have driving experience you are going to need to team with someone for 6 months at least. DONT BUY ANYTHING. Drive for someone first. If you waited this long to get into the business another 6 months ain’t going to kill you.

Reactions: Ragman

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Straight Truck or Tractor/Trailer. What's your pleasure? Do you have an A or B class CDL? Do you have truck driving experience? Knowledge of or experience within the trucking industry?

David Bougher

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I am owner operator with my own authority I have been driving for about two and a half years and the problem I'm having right now is trying to get a good dispatcher who can keep me busy I currently have been sitting for over a week I am driving a 2005 GMC Savana box truck 16 footer. If anybody has any recommendations for a dispatcher that will dispatch me and not require 2008 or newer which I think is ridiculous. furthermore I am also in the process of trying to get setup with XPO Logistics but if there is any other load boards out there that have quite a few of these expedite loads any help in giving me the right directions to them would be awesome. Desperately waiting someone's response thanks

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Many O/Os with trucks greater than 10 years old have good maintenance programs and operating capital to perform routine preventive maintenance before the need to perform corrective maintenance. A greater percentage buy well-used trucks and run them into the ground, quite often breaking down while on the road with a customers freight. Over the years, the established carriers with hundreds of trucks have developed data that justifies, to them, to only take on a truck that is less than 10 years old. They may, however, keep a lease in effect if the truck has a good safety, inspection and performance record. Poorly maintained trucks with repeated breakdowns or OOS orders, while loaded cost a carrier in towing, load transfers, late delivery guarantee fees, lost customers and often CSA points which can lead to DOT audits and their associated penalties.

So, in reality, the 10 years start-up policy is not ridiculous, it's good business.

Reactions: TeamHutch

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Can you give us anymore details? Driving experience business experience? Do you know who you plan to lease onto? How long have you been researching trucking/expediting? Looking to buy new or used? Reputable dealer is subjective. Knowing what to buy is more important than the dealer.

TheCraftyTrucker

Reactions: Kip life

David Bougher

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I drove expedite box truck for a company for the year before I got my Authority I started driving my own truck this 2005 that I have is very well taken care of I'm not looking to buy another truck right now Several years back I dispatched for another truck driver friend of mine I have several friends of mine that drive truck my Uncle Pete Kennedy drove truck for 30 some yrs and taught truck driving school. So I've been around the stuff my whole life and I had a pretty basic understanding of everything but the expedite business is quite different. As well as many of you know that a lot of things have changed. I'm looking for a dispatcher that can dispatch me as for the last year-and-a-half I have had to dispatchers who have not really been fulfilling the job. Let's just say that I've sat for a week at a time sometimes in one location. It's gotten really frustrating and irritating they don't respond to questions they don't tell me hey there's a better area why don't you move over there they don't tell me anything. I had somebody here asked me about business experience well let's just say I've been running my own busineses my whole life I had an IT business for 9 years. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about business and how to do business and have to deal with customers. the frustrating part about this is dealing with a bunch of people in this industry who don't even speak English very well. And the expedite business I have come across so many foreigners who don't speak very much English and you can't get no information out of them because you can't understand them. and when you can understand them they don't want to give you any information nobody wants to give up any information about this business and if you Google anything about the expedite business you'l sift through pages and pages of information that does not relate to anything you needs in other words you won't find anything valuable. It's like a Declassified secret business or something it has been very irritating to get the information that one needs.

RyderInfante

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I drove straight trucks for Miller beer for ten years..I left trucking and went into sales for a long time but I want to get out of it. I spoke with Fedex critical and panther called me as well. I found a bunch of trucks out there for sale with a ton of miles on them. Im afraid of them breaking down on me and leaving me out of business. Ive been considering getting back into trucking for a few years and expediting looks enticing to me. I will be going solo as I do not have a CDL partner ( more of a loner anyway). I appreciate you folks responding.I was just watching your videos last night actually.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you get a well maintained truck don’t worry about the miles. Ask for maintenance records and oil analysis report, majority of the O/O keep good records. I got into this business for 25K. 17K on a truck 3K up front repairs and 5K reserve. That was 4 years ago with this truck going on 923K Mile on the truck now. (Bought it with 669K miles on it)

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have a good feel for work availability for 16' box trucks but the dispatcher we have has never let our driver sit (barring accidents or OOS) at all ..... He's always had a load ready to pick up before dropping our driver drops off the load he is currently on.

At one time since we've been OTR we did rent a 16' truck in the hopes of getting a really good load (it was actually to save a shipment because our 26' truck was running late to the pick up) BUT the shipper cancelled at the last minute .... Despite that, our dispatcher found 3 good paying loads and saved the day on that rental (he had a driver friend of his run the 16' truck and he dispatched our 26' immediately to another pickup) so there are good loads for smaller trucks but he really specializes in 26' straights (he said in a pinch he can go to 24' tho)....so I may have to work to get him down to 16'!

FWIW - I also joined the DAT load board and I'm looking into joining another load board or two also to see what is out there (one reason is I plan on getting 2 more drivers running OTR shortly (I already know them and everything is lined up except for factoring which is the last piece in the puzzle ....I've essentially had to carry the first driver through 45 days and THAT's expensive ....I can't / don't want to do that all again with every driver hence the factoring) and I would hate for anything to happen to our dispatcher....i.e if something ever happens to him I DON'T want to have 3 guys sitting around doing nothing so I guess I better learn how to do dispatching / invoicing / factoring just in case (I'm also looking for another dispatcher also because you can almost never have too many backups).

Anyways, I'll ask our dispatcher if he can keep you busy .....nobody here is allergic to $$ !

PM me if you want also ....

Andrew

Last edited:

Astar

New Recruit
Dispatcher
I am owner operator with my own authority I have been driving for about two and a half years and the problem I'm having right now is trying to get a good dispatcher who can keep me busy I currently have been sitting for over a week I am driving a 2005 GMC Savana box truck 16 footer. If anybody has any recommendations for a dispatcher that will dispatch me and not require 2008 or newer which I think is ridiculous. furthermore I am also in the process of trying to get setup with XPO Logistics but if there is any other load boards out there that have quite a few of these expedite loads any help in giving me the right directions to them would be awesome. Desperately waiting someone's response thanks
Did you get a dispatcher? if not contact me