Hello from central TN

SheepDog

Active Expediter
Figure before I start posting questions, opinions and what not, I should introduce my wife and I. I am SheepDog and my wife is MntMomma. We hail from the Chattanooga area. We both drive a big rig and love what we do. We make good money and have always wanted to get our own rig and work our way up to a fleet. We have just rescently started thinking about doing the same thing with a Cargo Van

As some of you may already know, the FMCSA have implemented new HOS rules and although some have already gone into effect, the rest and most important, will go into effect next July. The 34hr restart, if not stopped, will cause haveck on teams and solo's that drive at night and/or get home on a nightly basis.

We have found that there may be some oppertunity for us in the Cargo Van side of expediting, especially glad to know about the under 10,001 rules.

Well, that's all for now. Look forward of hearing from the H/W teams, Multi Carrier and those with their Own Authority making it work with a Cargo Van. Don't mind hearing from a few Fleet Owners either. God Bless

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Welcome to EO. I am in a d-unit for a large fleet so i can't say for sure on the money nto be had in a van but what I have heard is if you own the van you can do ok with "The right company"

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Its a matter of what your looking for. A husband/wife team has options available to them in this industry...in a straight truck...that could likely double any income they will ever find in any kind of van....imo

SheepDog

Active Expediter
Thanks for the reply's...
We still plan on starting a fleet and cargo vans are better for a few reasons, compared to big rigs. For starters, the maint is cheaper, fuel is cheaper, cost of new vehicle is cheaper and the list goes on. I realise there isn't much freight for teams in Vans but that will be ok. We will learn together what it is we don't know than, she will move to her own van. We than will slowly start to build our fleet. I realise I dont know everything about the business of owning a fleet but, I have been doing a whole lot of research on the subject for 4 years now. I just have to move my thinking from big rigs to cargo vans and the world of expediting... Thanks again and God bless

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the reply's...
We still plan on starting a fleet and cargo vans are better for a few reasons, compared to big rigs. For starters, the maint is cheaper, fuel is cheaper, cost of new vehicle is cheaper and the list goes on. I realise there isn't much freight for teams in Vans but that will be ok.
Why do you think that will be OK? It's the one thing that everything else depends on, and it's the one thing that owners, new and aspiring fleet owners especially, fail to properly consider. The other biggie is finding and keeping good drivers in cargo vans, since the vast majority of van drivers who drive for fleet owners tend to be short-time, irresponsible, low rent morons who are desperate enough and willing to split the already sporadic and low revenue of a cargo van 60/40 with the owner.

OK, that last part is party a joke. But it's also party true.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your studies over the last 4 years should have taught you that being a fleet owner of vans is asking for failure especially cargo vans. Straight trucks are the bread and butter of this industry and there is a reason most successful fleet owners are st owners. Good luck drive your own for a year then you will have a much clearer grasp on the cargo van potential.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Remember that list that goes on and on as to why cargo vans are better, it gets shredded quickly when it meets reality. If you realize cargo vans are cheap you should expand the thought further with a few questions. Why would I hire someone so broke and irresponsible that they can't afford a van on their own? Why is this persons credit so bad they can't get a car loan? If I put a broke and irresponsible person behind the wheel of my van why would they care about the van or safety of others? How much money are you going to have to advance this person and will you get it back?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Remember that list that goes on and on as to why cargo vans are better, it gets shredded quickly when it meets reality. If you realize cargo vans are cheap you should expand the thought further with a few questions. Why would I hire someone so broke and irresponsible that they can't afford a van on their own? Why is this persons credit so bad they can't get a car loan? If I put a broke and irresponsible person behind the wheel of my van why would they care about the van or safety of others? How much money are you going to have to advance this person and will you get it back?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

I think there is plenty of quality drivers for fleet vans. It isn't really any different between truck sizes there is headaches in every group. It kinda boils down to the amount of revenue a van can generate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Figure before I start posting questions, opinions and what not, I should introduce my wife and I. I am SheepDog and my wife is MntMomma. We hail from the Chattanooga area. We both drive a big rig and love what we do. We make good money and have always wanted to get our own rig and work our way up to a fleet. We have just rescently started thinking about doing the same thing with a Cargo Van

As some of you may already know, the FMCSA have implemented new HOS rules and although some have already gone into effect, the rest and most important, will go into effect next July. The 34hr restart, if not stopped, will cause haveck on teams and solo's that drive at night and/or get home on a nightly basis.

We have found that there may be some oppertunity for us in the Cargo Van side of expediting, especially glad to know about the under 10,001 rules.

Well, that's all for now. Look forward of hearing from the H/W teams, Multi Carrier and those with their Own Authority making it work with a Cargo Van. Don't mind hearing from a few Fleet Owners either. God Bless

Chattanooga is East TN. Anyways, what kind of experience do you have in the big truck? Good money to be made with a class 8 in expediting if a person is patient and plays the game right. I'm leased on to a company with 15 trucks, there are a couple of us doing expedite exclusively, and others doing it from time to time. We book our own loads and get whatever rate makes us happy - about as close to independant as one can get.

From what I gather mega-xpedite companies tend to be not so flexible and the rates not so great though there does seem, to me anyways, less competition among big trucks. It's also nice when you get a great rate on a 300 miles or so load, and then can pick off a "cheap" $400-$600 less than 200 miles load that would normally go on a straight truck, to cap off a day - when possible. I can compete with them at times but they cannot with me.

The only thing I would say if you have never owned a truck is to do it right, with cash all in. There's nothing that will tear down patience more than big payments hanging over a guy's head making him think he has to roll. Without patience they set the rates not you. I see some ok rates on team expedite loads $3800 on 1100 miles yesterday, although where it was going I wasn't excited about that, would have taken $4500 to get me interested. And then I am not a team operation. Anyhow, Ironically enough the company I am leased to is soon to be based out of Chattanooga, TN. Good luck with whatever you decide, big truck or small.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
As a former o/o in a cargo van, I cannot see teaming in one. I'm messy enough, much less with another person or a spouse, way to small. Now that said, one could do it til you could afford a Sprinter or a st, imho.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
As Skyraider stated. If your starting off and Vanning is what you want, step up to a Sprinter or Max 10gvw unit. I'n not talking about a cube, Ultra, Cargo Max etc. More room to RV in and carry freight. Upkeep and overhead the same as newer van or very close to it. Not only larger cargo area but easier to lease on with a carrier. Most larger carriers don't want anymore C/Vans. It's Sprinter, Sprinter types or larger. The only thing a C/Van future holds for a team is later on in life your both will be walking around the house "Hunched over". :rolleyes: