Hello August

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm confused (at my age, it's easy to do).

Why the difference between a cargo van and a sprinter?
After all, a sprinter is basically just a tall van. Still just 4 wheels.
I also posted a picture for guys like you LOL
It's that height
Keep in mind that would include all RV and RV buses as well

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's stupid!

I thought tolls were based on number of wheels and weight.

It's the number of axles. NY does the same thing. The sin of it is that an 8500 lb sprinter pays the same toll as a 33k straight truck. I even got dinged for the high rate when I got on the Ohio Pike with my fan lid up. Fought it and won :cool:

Reactions: NorthernBill

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's stupid!

I thought tolls were based on number of wheels and weight.
The number of wheels still matter the added height and eliminated weight.. I would suppose the maintenance on scales the cost would be too high

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's the number of axles. NY does the same thing. The sin of it is that an 8500 lb sprinter pays the same toll as a 33k straight truck. I even got dinged for the high rate when I got on the Ohio Pike with my fan lid up. Fought it and won :cool:
West Virginia Turnpike is the same now

Reactions: ntimevan

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys are on your own Wednesday, I've got my every 4 months check up and time for that pesky dot physical which I fail since I'm blind in my right eye.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Straight truck guys never sat around saying we wish those van guys would buy bigger vans so they can haul 3 pallet loads.

Didn't you just say you want a cube ?
Will that pay straight truck rates ?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Didn't you just say you want a cube ? Will that pay straight truck rates ?

I don't know, but thanks for reminding me to look into that :cool:
I imagine it would depend on the number of skids and the weight. An SRW cube takes three skids, same as a Sprinter, so I should expect at least a Sprinter rate. TBH I imagine a company willing to pay straight truck rates would insist on at least a large cube, 4-6 skids, if not a dock high vehicle.

Westmicher wants to build a large cube on an under 10k Transit cutaway chassis (DRW); I'll be fascinated to see how well he does with it. He says if it works out well, he'll build a small fleet of them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know, but thanks for reminding me to look into that :cool:
I imagine it would depend on the number of skids and the weight. An SRW cube takes three skids, same as a Sprinter, so I should expect at least a Sprinter rate. TBH I imagine a company willing to pay straight truck rates would insist on at least a large cube, 4-6 skids, if not a dock high vehicle.

Westmicher wants to build a large cube on an under 10k Transit cutaway chassis (DRW); I'll be fascinated to see how well he does with it. He says if it works out well, he'll build a small fleet of them.
I think if I were ambitious I would just cut the transit and stretch it out 3 feet