Hell frozen over!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Sunday morning, we drove thru Dallas/FW. What a mess!!! Multi-car accidents, cars off the road all over the place because of ice. I thought that was bad!

Then, we got to Arkansas! Having read WGifford's post about his driver getting rear-ended, I know exactly what he went thru, as far as the road conditions. The roads were pretty clear. But they didn't do a dammed thing to the bridges! Nearly every one was lined with ice the entire way. One bridge, my nephew drove across at 2-5mph cause there was NO traction. He had to veer onto the shoulder and run the snow to get some kind of tread.

Then we saw it! A multi-car accident that looked like a war-zone. Five car, two semi collision with at least one fatality. We saw the mini-van that was the vessel of the dead. It ran under the trailer of one of the semis, about 4' into the front seat area.

Yesterday, I had that on my mind all day. Things like that make you think about life, and if you're doing the right thing. It got me depressed for awhile, thinking about the driver and who he/she was. Family, life, all that came into my mind. I also think about the truck driver, who has to live the rest of his life knowing someone died having run into his vehicle. Regardless if it's his fault, I know he'll be haunted. His truck was missing the entire hood. But I couldn't see what he hit.

Arkansas should be ashamed!!! I heard a driver saying this is a lot better than five years ago. And I thought this was still the worst road conditions I've seen, merely for the fact that they had ALL DAY to clean it up, and it was still terrible! Dallas, at least, had sand on the roads already. Arkansas scraped with a plow, but did little else... and nothing to the bridges. I hope the governor gets the message, because this accident affected more than those involved. It scarred every person driving east on I-40 who saw it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Wise words, well written; brief and very effective. Your message cutrs straight to the heart. Pease consider putting those very same words into letters addressed to that state's governor and to the commissioner of transportation (or whatever the appropriate title is). You have nothing to lose but postage stamps, and it just might do some good.

sjbr549

Expert Expediter
i've seen bridges freeze over with it 35deg wind chill froze it. the state goes by temp. everybody thinks the road is just wet then oh s#*t bridge slam on brakes big mess real quick. besides how often do the deal with ice.probable not to often

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I look at it this way... they knew the roads were icy, as they had them plowed. The temp was just below freezing, so salt would've aleviated the whole problem. Heck... sand would've helped on the bridges. They have no excuses on this one. The storm happened 24 hrs beforehand.

Thanx for the words, Ateam. I'm planning on writing to them. Not that it'll do any good. We're talking about Bill Clinton's government here.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Hawkman,
I can't help it,... One question...Why do you risk your life and your nephew's to drive in those conditions? Was the freight really that HOT? When I read a thread like yours I get weak in the knees because 5 years ago I lost a very good freind in an accidient on road conditions just as you described but in Tenn. I won't name the freight company, but the dispatcher told him to keep going. His wife and two sons collected a fairly good sum from the lawsuit, but will tell you that in no way did it replace the husband and father they lost.
For a dispatcher or company to ask you to drive in extremely dangerous conditions and risk your life, your truck, and the freight you are carrying, well then you know where you stand as a person in their eyes. I'd say you are nothing but a number! Ask them to ride shot gun with you through those conditions and see how many would.
On the other hand if you continue on knowing the risk involved and just doing that macho thing, then shame on you!
Hawkman, I know you have been doing this a long time and I feel sure you know your limitations, and it may not have been as bad as I imagined in my mind as I was reading your post. I have confidence in you that you would have stopped if it were too bad, but look at all those that don't. They are easy to spot with those little wreaths and flowers on the sides of the roads and medians.
I would just like to see everyone be safe out there and I don't want to hear any bad news about any of us.

Dan

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The safest thing was to keep going. There was NOWHERE to pull off. Besides... like I said, the roads were clear for the most part. The bridges were complete ice, but we had a mile or two backup to prepare for those. I would've rather stuck with the big trucks in this case.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Hawkman,
I'm sure you made the right call. I was not coming down on you personally, It just brought a lot of past emotions into mind when I read about the ice and the accidents and I got a little carried away in my post.
I have a very strict rule for me and my wife: when we are not comfortable with the driving conditions, WE STOP. Second chances sometimes don't come around.
I will say that we have only had to stop twice in the past year and our carrier (FedExCC) did not have a problem with us putting safty first. For this I thank them.

Dan

elton10

Expert Expediter
Ive got to agree with you ./no freight is worth killing myself or someone else. I think most of us have a sense of when we are "over driving" ourselves.. When that hits.. I pull over whether its due to tirednes,weather or whatever.