Heat & bonding

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
:DHi Guy's, I was interested in heating my van, and thinking about a small camping heater on the cheap, just to get started. Everyone can not be using a $1500.00 Espar in the beginning. Also does someone know if you need a PUC or ICC number on a truck doing interstate under 10,001lb. what about this million dollar bond on your truck and cargo? I know this covers a lot of different subjects, but you guy's can handle it.
Thanks Gizmo

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:DHi Guy's, I was interested in heating my van, and thinking about a small camping heater on the cheap, just to get started. Everyone can not be using a $1500.00 Espar in the beginning. Also does someone know if you need a PUC or ICC number on a truck doing interstate under 10,001lb. what about this million dollar bond on your truck and cargo? I know this covers a lot of different subjects, but you guy's can handle it.
Thanks Gizmo

In Order of asked

1) I use a small camping type heater, flameless I got at wal mart uses the small propane tanks, lasts about 7-8 hours per can, does ok also a Good Sleeping bag will work wonders.

2) Yes to be legal, But a lot don't do it. I could be wrong on this, and if I am somebody will have the right answer.

3) Million dollar Bond? I never needed it but I do carry a Million Dollars in Liabilty Insurance and Cargo Insurance is on the Carrier to cover

fastrod

Expert Expediter
To operate a van, 10000 lbs. and under, on your own you need operating authority, 300,000 dollar insurance policy and 5,000 dollar cargo insurance policy. A van 10,000 lbs. and under requires no markings or numbers at all according to the feds. As far as heating I use a mister buddy heater and it works fine.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What do the small cylinders cost for those heaters? It's a small amount individually but over time will add up to more than the cost of an Espar heater.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nobody burns witches anymore ?...
And risk being convicted of a hate crime! I knew an old German expediter that heated his Volkswagen van with...wood, or coal. Yeah, wood or coal.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
And risk being convicted of a hate crime! I knew an old German expediter that heated his Volkswagen van with...wood, or coal. Yeah, wood or coal.

The old Volkwagens, buses, bugs, squareback etc used to have gas heaters mounted in the trunk right above the gas tank. Talk about scary:eek::eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, it was a gas furnace. He would get the gas furnace fired up and toss in some...logs. Wood logs.