Health Insurance

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Brand new to this world, so please bear with me.

I haven't had health insurance in almost 8 years. I start with a contractor driving FedExCC Monday.

I'd like to hear from any of you that purchase your own health insurance, approximately what you pay per month, and the source.

A former insurance sales friend of mine suggested a website, I think it's e-healthinsurance or something along those lines. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As always, I appreciate everyone's input.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hey good luck!!

Talk to FCC they just started a great new group plan with tons of choices on insurance. Life and health.

moose

Veteran Expediter
you will have to shop around for this one .
knowing the X there is a very good chance that no one can beat their group plan .
look not only at the Payments plan , but also at the benefits provided . don't get over insured .
one of the problem of getting your coverage from your company ,is that employee mind set , they make it too EZ , can probably take the payments out of your pay-check ,
when calling them ask : what will happened if you take a long time off ? . if you change Owner ? . if you choose to work for someone else ? . are they a middle-man in case of a claim ? .
Ext. ....
by large you want to stay back off any group that do not require a doctor check for signing inn . the exception for this is a new group that are require by low to except everyone ,regardless of pre-existing illness .
you can also shop around here :
call OOIDA , 1800-444-5791
what state are you from ?
working with a local group might save a lot , check Blue-Shield & Blue Cross ,see if they give coverage in your home state .
do a Google search with your Zip code .
i have found out that by making an annual one time payments i can save around 20% of the premium .
once you choose your provider , contact Care Credit :
1866-893-7864 , and open an account .

Good luck in your new endeavor ,and don't be a stranger .

Moose.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, Moose & Pilgrim.

Moose-I'm in West Michigan. By law, BCBS has to accept us regardless of conditions. However, they're horrible expensive off the street. A group plan is definitely the way to go.

Pilgrim-I am going to check them out. Hopefully, we'll get that info on day one at orientation, and I can do my comparison shopping that night.

I'm actually excited about getting it again, even if I am paying for it fully. The last year+ has been very tough on us financially.......very, very tough. I am sooooooo looking forward to working. And, I get to do it with my beautiful bride!

Thanks again, gang.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hmmmmmmm , Interesting Point .
i have being with BlueBlue for several years now ,
and last year i just renew over the phone,so its will be 2 years since the last i shop for healthcare , my do is do soon , so i might be better off with a group ,will let you know.
the one thing i like about BB is that i know in advance what the max annual amount i'm going to spend .
they also saved me 900$ on that lasik .

Moose.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
ehealthinsurance is OK for reviewing various palns, but you can deal with the insurance company directly and save a few bucks per month.

ehealthinsurance will tell you that insurance rates are fixed by law and you can not get the policy any cheaper anyplace else.

Well, that is true, BUT...nobody works for free!

For example, a UHC policy through ehealthinsurance would cost me $317/mo, BUT dealing with UHC directly I can get that exact same policy for $314/mo. ehealthinsurance is charging you a fee for their service.

I'd suggest that you self insure. A Health Savings Account will permit you to treat the money saved like an IRA. You reduce your tax liability. You get a reasonable monthly premium and you get a tax break to boot! Win-Win.

Do a search for HSA's online.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A group plan is probably better in most cases, but shop carefully. My BCBS was with Farm Bureau. After a lot of significant increases, I talked to the Bureau rep about what my options might be for less expensive coverage. She told me that while the coverage was much cheaper at first, a lot of sick people began joining the Bureau for the good deal. Since each groups rate is determined individually, the premiums began to go up.

I ended up going to my local BCBS office and just getting an individual plan. Yes, BCBS is expensive. But, having a card that everyone recognizes when you're in an emergency room in BFE has some value.