Health Insurance and Expediters

ATeam

Retired Expediter
How many expediters have health insurance now? If the bill now before the U.S. Senate, how many of those expediters will continue to have health insurance of equal or better quality?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have health insurance, if you can call it that. After my premiums doubled, I had to take a lower plan. So now have a card that won't be used unless i'm seriously ill with a large deductible. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, and if any real benefits are seen. I'm not holding my breath

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had to get a job and get off the road to get health insurance for my wife. She is in bad shape and since we live in Florida, the state is no help whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't comment.... I'm covered under Ragmamas retirement benifits .

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I have health insurance, if you can call it that. After my premiums doubled, I had to take a lower plan. So now have a card that won't be used unless i'm seriously ill with a large deductible. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, and if any real benefits are seen. I'm not holding my breath

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app
I had medical insurance for my wife as well as myself. (Independent contractor) We were paying a lot for premiums and never used the insurance. The high premiums were contributing to a fiscal issue, so we had to drop it. A short time after that, my wife got sick and spent time in the hospital. So that episode created a fiscal issue. What is the point of having insurance if you can't afford the premiums?
You might go broke.
But if you don't have insurance, you might go broke.
My wife was able to get a job that payed a portion of her insurance premiums.
I found a second job that pays a portion of the premiums. Plus I drive local as other job.
The way it ought to be is that premiums and deductibles should be relatively low. Those that don't buy insurance due to low income or just want to pay out of pocket shouldn't have to pay through the nose for standard medical care. Let's get these medical costs and premiums down.

Reactions: RoadTime

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I stopped expiditing and went back to company driver the main reason is insurance keeps going up and rates going down

Reactions: muttly

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In December 2015, I went onto the Obamacare marketplace to choose a plan for 2016. It put us on Medicaid, and here we are. I don't like to talk about it, but I'm not ashamed. We paid into the system for 30+ years, and if things improve and we go off it again, we'll find a way to deal with it. We're not sitting at home eating Twinkies, we're on the job, so there it is.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In December 2015, I went onto the Obamacare marketplace to choose a plan for 2016. It put us on Medicaid, and here we are. I don't like to talk about it, but I'm not ashamed. We paid into the system for 30+ years, and if things improve and we go off it again, we'll find a way to deal with it. We're not sitting at home eating Twinkies, we're on the job, so there it is.

Be glad you live in a state that has expanded Medicaid, one good thing about the expedite business is that you don't end up with much actual net income so you can qualify for Medicaid. If I still lived in Ohio I would be on that, but Florida that isn't happening.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Obama care is a disaster and Trump care not really any better so far. Filed for exemption and buy privately. Much cheaper and way better coverage than anything on that goofy exchange. That is nothing more than a income redistribution vehicle.

Reactions: xiggi and RoadTime

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Obama care is a disaster and Trump care not really any better so far. Filed for exemption and buy privately. Much cheaper and way better coverage than anything on that goofy exchange. That is nothing more than a income redistribution vehicle.

Exactly, besides defense spending, just another way for mass amounts of tax money to be redistributed into the pockets of the greedy executives.

Also be careful on that policy you bought bet there are provisions in there that if you actually have to use it they will drop you. Would not be good for them if they have to pay out anything.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Exactly, besides defense spending, just another way for mass amounts of tax money to be redistributed into the pockets of the greedy executives.

Also be careful on that policy you bought bet there are provisions in there that if you actually have to use it they will drop you. Would not be good for them if they have to pay out anything.

There are policies like that. Lol. But we are good on that front.