Headlight Restoration

TNJenn

Active Expediter
Hey Everyone! Happy Monday! I read under Load 1 Nation where several of ya'll were discussing different kits to restore your headlights, to get rid of that yucky, dingy, cloudy scourge that blocks all of the light needed to see with. I am a pinterest addict and last summer came across a less expensive product that worked great, Arm & Hammer toothpaste. It was $0.98 a tube and worked fantastically. I'm all about saving money without sacrificing quality. Hope ya'll have a great day.

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I think the real trick to a lasting restore is protection from UV, I think most of the run of the mill kits including toothpaste, LOL are missing that. This kit I have heard works well, the magic is the aerosol can of a secret spray. I haven't tried it yet, BUT have used other products they sell, mostly good stuff.

TS

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I use deep woods off keep the bugs away. Seriously it cost a few bucks a can works good.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The clear polycarbonate lenses have a very porous surface. All headlamps come with a factory .03 mil thick UV coating to protect that surface. This coating, of course, gets sandblasted off as you drive down the road. With the UV coating gone, not only does this allow for quicker oxidation, but the sandblasting becomes more efficient and effective.

The way to combat this is to apply a UV headlamp protectant whenever you wash and wax the vehicle, or certainly once a month. They make stuff specifically labeled for that, or Armor All will do the same thing.

Not being particular anal about my headlamp surfaces, I tend to just restore them every couple of years and apply UV coating, then forget about them until they start getting dull again. I should probably be more diligent in that regard.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle, agreed, that is why if you just polish tem without adding UV protectant, they look worse than before you started in a few months, been there done that!

Reactions: Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use deep woods off keep the bugs away. Seriously it cost a few bucks a can works good.

In my searching on the toothpaste, I did see some comments about not using off as it beaks down the surface resulting in more frequent applications. I don't know if the comments are true or not, but maybe something to look into.
I would think the less harsh the better for the lens. Which makes me wonder about the over the counter products, as they are pretty harsh already.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
In my searching on the toothpaste, I did see some comments about not using off as it beaks down the surface resulting in more frequent applications. I don't know if the comments are true or not, but maybe something to look into.
I would think the less harsh the better for the lens. Which makes me wonder about the over the counter products, as they are pretty harsh already.[/QUOTE

That may very well be true I done it about 6 months ago haven't had to redo them yet

zeppelin

Active Expediter
Hey Everyone! Happy Monday! I read under Load 1 Nation where several of ya'll were discussing different kits to restore your headlights, to get rid of that yucky, dingy, cloudy scourge that blocks all of the light needed to see with. I am a pinterest addict and last summer came across a less expensive product that worked great, Arm & Hammer toothpaste. It was $0.98 a tube and worked fantastically. I'm all about saving money without sacrificing quality. Hope ya'll have a great day.
Bug Spray works also. OFF

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Lol yep didn't have to worry about touching the bulb all ya needed was a Phillips screwdriver pull up to a building and in 1 min or 2 had they adjusted yep those were the days

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Valvoline quick lube place told me to use transmission fluid on my headlights once a month.
It'll be more like once a week. Transmission fluid will shine them right up, but a few days later they'll look worse than they did to begin with. Any kind of light oil, including WD-40 will do the same thing. The oil makes them look shiny, but the oxidation is still there. Use the ATF or some light oil, then take some regular paint thinner clean the ATF off and dry it. All the oxidization will return.

A restoration kit is probably the best, followed by wet sanding with water and 1000, 2000, 3000 and then 5000 grit sandpaper.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Let him do one then come back 2 weeks later and make him give you $40 if it's cloudy again. :D

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ran into a car detailer that would do 1 headlight for free to prove himself, 2nd one cost $40. :D

Had a guy at a J going around doing it for $20 Not a bad idea to make some cash. With all this new information on products, I wonder now what he was using. But I'll give him credit for at least not wanting a hand out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
for all the time and money I spent on these so called restoration kits...every time the cloud came back.....cheaper to buy new ones off E-Bay and be done with it...salvage the bulbs from the old unit and toss it....

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Had a guy at a J going around doing it for $20 Not a bad idea to make some cash. With all this new information on products, I wonder now what he was using. But I'll give him credit for at least not wanting a hand out.
Hey for 20 bucks I'll do them maybe that would be a good sideline job with enough headlights maybe quit expidite freight lol

Reactions: RoadTime