Heading to Panther

armin88

Expert Expediter
Hello all,I just been approve by Panther and be driving for a o/o.I have few questions I hope you can answer.I have done lot of reading and seams to me team trucks more more in compare to solo truck.My first question is that true?The o/o i'm going be driving for prefer the truck run as a team truck.So my next question is should I find a teammate before I pick up the truck?My next question is,i'm currently living in Florida but i'm from PA,I have heard there not much going on in Florida,so would it be my best interest to move back north east,(PA)?Also last question is,what else should I know about Panther?Any input would be great.Thanks

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Getting to FL is not usually an issue it is a problem getting a load out unless you have a reefer. There are a lot of complaints about Panther so hopefully you looked into them to make sure they are the company for you.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Getting to FL is not usually an issue it is a problem getting a load out unless you have a reefer. There are a lot of complaints about Panther so hopefully you looked into them to make sure they are the company for you.

Yes I have heard good and the ugly but personally I can't get in with any other company due to few things.I don't have much experience in this business but i'm looking at this way,if I can suck it up for at lease 6 months to year,ill have that experience I need for better companies to open there door for me.Good thing on my side is I don't have kids nor a wife,so being on the road for 5-8 weeks isn't a big deal for me.I have a speeding ticket on my MVR and most companies told me I wouldn't be approved throw them until that ticket pass the 3 year mark.I got 1 more year to go till that 3 year rule apply's.More likely also if I have to wait a week or two to find a teammate ill will do that.So let see what the days ahead brings along.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
I drive for Panther. Also have been teamed with my wife, for almost 3 years now. Team trucks will have an advantage in getting loads. Florida, we can get loads there, getting out is another story. At least for us we usually have to deadhead to Atlanta to get a load. Should you move - I wouldn't.

It is usually the fleet owner's job to find a team mate.

Are you in a TT or ST?

armin88

Expert Expediter
I drive for Panther. Also have been teamed with my wife, for almost 3 years now. Team trucks will have an advantage in getting loads. Florida, we can get loads there, getting out is another story. At least for us we usually have to deadhead to Atlanta to get a load. Should you move - I wouldn't.

It is usually the fleet owner's job to find a team mate.

Are you in a TT or ST?

ST.I don't have details yet but far I know the O/O wants to have it as a team,plus I have no experience what so ever in this business so I hope I can find a teammate who has experience.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
No experience, have a contract with owner?, driving for Panther. Sounds like it could be a rough road.

armin88

Expert Expediter
No experience, have a contract with owner?, driving for Panther. Sounds like it could be a rough road.

Is there something I should know?I was plaining on teaming with someone for while before I deside to go solo or just stay a team driver.Yes I heard lot of bad things about Panther but I gotta take what comes along for now.Not plaining being there to long unless it turns out being good.Gotta start somewhere.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Sounds more like he is voicing concern over a lack of experience and an apparent lack of a contract. Yes you do have to start some where. Do a search in the forums along the lines of no contract to find out what kind of problems you can run into.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hello all,I just been approve by Panther and be driving for a o/o.I have few questions I hope you can answer.I have done lot of reading and seams to me team trucks more more in compare to solo truck.My first question is that true?The o/o i'm going be driving for prefer the truck run as a team truck.So my next question is should I find a teammate before I pick up the truck?My next question is,i'm currently living in Florida but i'm from PA,I have heard there not much going on in Florida,so would it be my best interest to move back north east,(PA)?Also last question is,what else should I know about Panther?Any input would be great.Thanks

personaly ...... i think teams work out best if your a couple......working for the same house hold... as you have to split your pay with them...
i been solo for a ahh 6 yrs now. tried teaming with someone else 2x.. and well .....
ill stick to solo .. until I meet my life long partner or quit.
teaming with a stranger..... well you have to get to know that stranger to see if your going to get along living and working in a closet space 24/7
music?? talking on the phone ?? bathroom issues??? smoking?? non smoking?? living habits .. is this person a slob or a neat fresk..??? its almost like dating

just my 2cents

armin88

Expert Expediter
personaly ...... i think teams work out best if your a couple......working for the same house hold... as you have to split your pay with them...
i been solo for a ahh 6 yrs now. tried teaming with someone else 2x.. and well .....
ill stick to solo .. until I meet my life long partner or quit.
teaming with a stranger..... well you have to get to know that stranger to see if your going to get along living and working in a closet space 24/7
music?? talking on the phone ?? bathroom issues??? smoking?? non smoking?? living habits .. is this person a slob or a neat fresk..??? its almost like dating

just my 2cents

Thanks for the info,looking to team for now till I learn the ropes.My goal is to buy a truck so if I work on that then its all worth it.

armin88

Expert Expediter
Well update 6/1/11

Just been approve by Panther,o/o i'm going be driving for seems to be nice and easy going,spoke to him about pay fuel etc.Just looking for co-driver.Ill keep an update.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Before you go to Seville,get a contract from the owner and if you have questions get them answered before you go to Seville.I would spend some money and take a look at the trk your going to be driving,before you........ you get the idea.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Armin,
I would suggest to you. At the top of the page "Magazine" is on the right. Go back a few issues and look for the cover that Say's "How to find a good fleet owner" it's probably two years old by now. I would also suggest to try and meet your co driver before you make to much of a commitment. First impressions can mean a lot. When your stuck in the rig for weeks at a time. It's sort of like Jail or the Service. You just can't go home if your not happy. :p

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Im in the same boat as you kind of. I dont have any exprince, still working on gettin my class C CDL just waiting for a background check to clear for my hazmat. Im thinking Im going to either get signed up with Panther or Fed EX CC if I can. I figure go to one of the mega carriers, get experince then if I dont like it there go somewhere else. Being Im based out of Michigand id prolly look into gettin in with express 1 or load 1 =)

armin88

Expert Expediter
Im in the same boat as you kind of. I dont have any exprince, still working on gettin my class C CDL just waiting for a background check to clear for my hazmat. Im thinking Im going to either get signed up with Panther or Fed EX CC if I can. I figure go to one of the mega carriers, get experince then if I dont like it there go somewhere else. Being Im based out of Michigand id prolly look into gettin in with express 1 or load 1 =)

Gotta start somewhere,Panther was only one who approved me.I don't want to get the hazmat so fedex cc out of the question.Main goal of my is to get some experience see how it works out and maybe buy my own truck.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
Get everything in writing. If the owner can promise something, it doesn't mean anything unless it's in writing. Have an attorney look it over, so that it means in writing what he's saying.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well update 6/1/11

Just been approve by Panther,o/o i'm going be driving for seems to be nice and easy going,spoke to him about pay fuel etc.Just looking for co-driver.Ill keep an update.

Are they going to check for compatibility? Things like smoking, religion, politics, your co-driver is black and your a lifetime member of the KKK, you know the important things.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

armin88

Expert Expediter
Are they going to check for compatibility? Things like smoking, religion, politics, your co-driver is black and your a lifetime member of the KKK, you know the important things.

Umm smoking no I don't want a smoker teammate,race doesn't matter to me and religion, politics doesn't matter to me either.As for the kkk thing,thats kinda odd statement...???

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Umm smoking no I don't want a smoker teammate,race doesn't matter to me and religion, politics doesn't matter to me either.As for the kkk thing,thats kinda odd statement...???

It maybe an odd statement but these are things you will want to see if the company or the owner will consider when picking your co-driver. There are a higher percentage of smokers in the driving industry than you maybe aware of which is something you apparently don't want to deal with. Now race, sex, creed, or sexual orientation may not bother you but are they an issue for the other driver? You may lean to the left and the other guy is thinking he doesn't want to get stuck with a filthy dirty stinking commie liberal. The Odd Couple may have worked as a TV show but it will wear you out in a truck.