Hazmat routing

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just a heads up for the Hazmat routing we are currently being given.

Picked up 4500# Paint class 3 Hazmat. Destination Columbia, SC. I asked for a re-route due to the tunnels on I77 in Virginia. I was told there were no restrictions on the route and I should proceed through the tunnels.

Needless to say I felt uneasy about this, so I stopped and called the Va DOT. They responded that indeed the tunnels were "RECTRICTED TO HAZMAT"

When I called dispatch, they again said, no restrictions despite my telling them of the call to Va DOT. The remark was that "Safety would never allow this to happen, they use the very latest Hazmat routing from PC Miler".

I asked who I should believe, Safety or Va DOT? Would Safety pay the fine , and repair any damage to my CDL? Response "We will get back to you".

They soon called back with the proper re-route and new pay to include the extra 45 miles.

I am not blameing anyone. Probably an error in PC Miler software.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Good for you for following up on your instincts. Ultimately it is all on us. Did all that hassle make you late for your delivery?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
HazMat routing is a sore spot with us as well. We have had many problems with it. We brought it up with Jason at the FedEx breakfast. He says that they are working on the purchase of a new system. He said that it go a long way to fixing the problem. They are waiting on permisission to buy it. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is also a sore spot with us and one of the arguments that we have is in the winter routing us on I70 west of Denver and wanting us to go around the Eisenhower tunnel. I do not know what program is being used but I have heard it is a lot better then when the route used to be done by the dispatcher doing all this by hand. I sure hope the future will improve with this new software.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if your not in a 102 wide vehicle,instead of going all the way to I 81 on rt 460.if going east on 460 ,when you get to rt 100,go south ,you will save lots of miles.if you are on I 81,take rt 100 north,make sure its the north exit,as there is also a south exit.Dont do this with an E unit,the fine was $77,but its been a while since I was cought there.BTW,rt 100 is twisty,but not anything you cant handle,it is faster than going over the mountain,around the tunnels

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
another thing about haz routing,if you know the routing,and the c-link has you going wrong way,make that phone call to dispatch,keep track of your miles,and tell them which way you are going,your pay will be change for the re-routes