Have You Heard of XPO Logistics, Inc.? If not, you soon will.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In an August 4, 2011 press release, entitled "Express-1 Files Definitive Proxy Materials," Express-1 announced that a company name change will be put to a shareholder vote on September 1. If shareholders approve, the new company name will be XPO Logistics, Inc.

At the same shareholder meeting, shareholders will vote on the proposed equity investment in the company that was announced on June 14 and discussed in this EO Open Forum thread.

The current edition of Expedite NOW is hitting the stands and subscriber mailboxes now. It includes an informative interview with Bradley Jacobs and Mike Welch. Jacobs is the entrepreneur who took over Express-1 and intends to build it into a multi-billion dollar company. Welch is now the former Express-1 CEO and will remain with the company.

Many of the questions asked in the interview were asked on your behalf. They came straight from the Open Forum thread referenced above. EO/EN went straight on with Jacobs and Welch and the gentlemen responded in kind. The piece is a fascinating read.

If you are not yet an Expedite NOW subscriber, you can sign up for a free subscription here.

The piece will appear online in the near future.

Proxy Statement

From the Business Strategy section of the proxy statement:

"JPE intends to cause the Company to grow the expedited transportation solutions business in the near-term organically through accelerated recruiting of owner-operators and the hiring of additional sales and support personnel. In addition, JPE intends to cause the Company to pursue complimentary acquisitions on a selective basis."

Regarding the name change, the proxy statement says:

"The purpose of the Company name change is to align our corporate identity more closely with the focus of our operations and to rebrand the Company commencing with JPE’s acquisition of control."

(Full Disclosure: Diane and I own shares of Express-1 (XPO)).

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
WOoosshhhh...
Thanks god it is not going to be Jacobs Express....

(S.Jacobs / aka Moose)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As a potential transportation stock purchase they might not be too bad. Time will tell.
As a prospective contractor or fleet owner, probably not.
Below industry average in compensation and a flat rate fuel surcharge would nix them off my list. If that changed, then they could be worth a second look.
Just my penny in the pond of course.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a potential transportation stock purchase they might not be too bad. Time will tell.
As a prospective contractor or fleet owner, probably not.
Below industry average in compensation and a flat rate fuel surcharge would nix them off my list. If that changed, then they could be worth a second look.
Just my penny in the pond of course.

But Dave..they'll let ya run a million miles to make up for the lesser rate....more miles, more money...right?;):rolleyes:

moose

Veteran Expediter
I do not see how flat rate FSC will scare away O/O from choosing XPO, (opening here a cans of warms).
there are about 5 ways to calculate flat FSC, i do not know which one they use.
but in my book, the flat rate FSC is as legit as it can be.
it costs the same on fuel to run a load,
regardless of the carriers marketing skills, law balling, corruptions, or flat out stealing the O/O lunch money .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do not see how flat rate FSC will scare away O/O from choosing XPO, (opening here a cans of warms).
there are about 5 ways to calculate flat FSC, i do not know which one they use.
but in my book, the flat rate FSC is as legit as it can be.
it costs the same on fuel to run a load,
regardless of the carriers marketing skills, law balling, corruptions, or flat out stealing the O/O lunch money .

Moose the formula they use is they take the MIDWEST average...which is the 2nd lowest in the nation...and they round off to the lowest number...:rolleyes: so if its at say 27.9 cents you get .27...

fortwayne

Not a Member
Would not buy stock in any trucking company.
Has nothing to do with the company but the industry as a whole.
I avoid any stocks in any industry that IS VERY HEAVILY REGULATED by the federal and state governments.....such as trucking, banks and utilities to name a few.
Regulatory restrictions=more money spent=less profit.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Changing a well known "Branded" name to one of it's stock market ID??????

It's all about Wall Street..... Bad idea! Well, unless you're IBM......har