Happy with the switch?

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
This question goes out to all the drivers that started by driving for an owner and now you own your own truck. More freedom/less freedom, More money/less money. Do you have more or less pressure now that you call your own shots? Would you do it again? Let me know what you think.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
More freedom, more money, more pressure, and yes, I would do it again. Also include into that more expenses and more accountability.

Will never run for another owner; and, if I can help it, another company.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Pioneer, a question back at ya. No harm or meaness indtened.

Would you really rather be Restricted, and put a set of rules up to live by?

Does our Government not already do enough of this for us, that one would even tie both hands behind your back and give more income to someone else? Now if one does not have the capitol I understand but the minute I could have FEEDOM I am OUT OF HERE.

Putting this into Prespective ( no mean feelings towards you ) I am seeing clearer why so many want to live under more Govt. Control rather than Fighting for there Freedom.

Nothing in this World will Ever come to you, until you make an effort to Gain It. (do not know who said that but I heard it)

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
More freedom is always better, regardless of the money. My name is on the side of my Sprinter, not some company's, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure, there are more headaches sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This question goes out to all the drivers that started by driving for an owner and now you own your own truck. More freedom/less freedom, More money/less money. Do you have more or less pressure now that you call your own shots? Would you do it again? Let me know what you think.

More freedom? Yes.
More money? Yes.
Less pressure? Yes.

Would we start with a fleet owner again? Yes.

Driving other people's trucks helped us learn what we wanted and did not want in a truck of our own. No way would we have the perfect-for-us truck we have today, had we not driven fleet owner trucks first.

Also, starting out in a fleet owner's truck gives you the chance to try the business before you buy, so to speak. Before risking capital of your own to buy a truck, you can sample the business in a fleet owner's truck to find out if you like the life and work, and if you can do it well enough to achieve what you want to achieve.

Last edited:

DougTravels

Not a Member
I bought my truck when I started so I've never worked for an owner. If you run smart it would seem the obvious answer would have to be "yes" more money. It only makes sense, if the owner can pay you and still make a profit on the truck. If you are looking at a new truck check out your local Chevy Truck dealer my 6500 came with a 2 year bumper to bumper and a 3rd year on the engine all with unlimited miles! I also saved a ton of money over buying from alumabunk. in 2005 my truck was 46k then another 18k for the box and sleeper, 64k total.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
More freedom? Yes.
More money? Yes.
Less pressure? Yes.

Would we start with a fleet owner again? Yes.

Driving other people's trucks helped us learn what we wanted and did not want in a truck of our own. No way would we have the perfect-for-us truck we have today, had we not driven fleet owner trucks first.

Also, starting out in a fleet owner's truck gives you the chance to try the business before you buy, so to speak. Before risking capital of your own to buy a truck, you can sample the business in a fleet owner's truck to find out if you like the life and work, and if you can do it well enough to achieve what you want to achieve.

Yeah, what Phil said!!