Retired Expediter
Happy birthday.

stock-vector-vector-illustration-of-cartoon-old-turtle-218178214.jpg

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks to all. Weird birthday today (but then again they're all weird in expediting). I spent the day trying to track down a 1.65 amp draw on the battery when the key is off. Pulled every fuse and relay and still can't find it. Next step is to take it to a professional.

On a side note, I can tell you with great confidence that the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 works great with a Sprinter. It's a portable jump starter pack the size of a brick.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC

Reactions: RoadTime and Greg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well we know it's not the Qualcomm...
Definitely not the QC.

When the MCP 200 is on and fully operating it draws a maximum or 1.5 amps. That 1.5 amps is with the screen set to full brightness and the unit actively sending or receiving messages, doing a position update, or actively seeking a better WiFi or terrestrial connection. Otherwise, with the ignition turned off, it only draws between 0.3 and 0.5 amps, which is not nearly enough to drain a healthy battery in 6-8 hours. When it goes to sleep is draws 20mA, or 0.02 amps. I have confirmed these numbers with direct measurements. With a healthy cranking battery and a good charging system the MCP 200 units should be able to stay on for weeks without affecting the battery, something that I have also confirmed in the past.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's crazy small. But has me wondering. It's says on the 1000 Amp one, up to 20 jump starts on a single charge. But will only charge a smartphone up to 4 times, and up to 8 times on the 2000Amp o_O
I'd be more interested in it as an extra power source. The power station I have now is 1200 Amps. Although mine is much bigger in size, 4 smartphone charges wouldn't even registrar a power drop on it.
But as a dedicated jump starter, sounds like a nice small addition. Which size are you using?
Gonna move this discussion to another thread.