Half Million

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
The dream van now has passed the half million mile mark (503,888) and 11,047.5 hours in 41 months. Total cost per mile is $.2874. What is included in that cost per mile figure? Totally paying for the van and everything I added to it, including insulation, bed system and bed, shelves, E track and plywood floor, Automatic starting system, air bags and air compressor, height control valves and plumbing, television, Maxx-Air fan, Sirius radio, aux batteries (2 sets), van washes, ScanGauge, tire chains, load straps etc, and Endless Breeze fan from Fantastic fan in 36 months. Truck insurance is in that figure. All repairs and routine maintenance. Basically everything that it takes to operate the van and equip it for our comfort. Also included is $50.00 per hour for all work that I did on the van. Also idling the van to keep inside temp between 62 and 80 degrees anytime we are in the van.
Repairs include 2 fuel pumps (one at 230,000 miles (failed), one at 450,000 miles as routine maintenance), one set of brake pads (rotors look like they may handle another set of pads at about 700,000 miles), one water pump replaced at 412,000 as routine maintenance, four sets of spark plugs, and one alternator rebuild. Also included in my cost per mile are all repairs that I have done to the systems I have added,(one example: new ropes for the bed suspension). I've had no problems with the Unicell body.
Shocks are original,and still good. Tie rod ends and ball joints are still tight. Transmission fluid and filter have never been changed. Read axle fluid has not been changed, though I have added a bottle of limited slip lube. Backlash in ring gear and pinion is still good. Driveshaft “U†joints are original. All wheel bearings are original. Engine uses a quart of oil about every 2500 miles (same as when new). I usually get somewhere around 140,000 miles out of a set of tireS and replace them because of winter weather coming on instead of because they are worn out. Van had one alignment at approx. 10,000 miles after I had everything installed and ran it enough to get the suspension “settled†in. Have had no unusual tire wear.
In approx. 10 yrs I’ve put over one and a quarter million miles on three Ford vans and gotten similar service out of all three. What can I say except:
THANK YOU, MR FORD!
Dieseldoctor

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's about $145,000. Can you give an estimate of what the initial expense was to put the van on the road? This was over a 36 month span?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Nice to here the update,i talked with ya at the J up in London O.N not long after you got the van and was quite impressed with your set and many helpful gadgets you created.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
28 cent. That is a good (very). Now ya gotta get the rest of the whiners on your program.

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
LDB

Out the door at the dealership I paid approximately $33,000. I figure installing the bed system, shelves, air bags and related equipment, etc to be about $2000.00. As I have said before, I make my van pay for itself in 36 months and I knew I would be adding other features so I just decided to use $1000.00 a month for the purchase of the van. I bought the van, the first of April 2004, but didn’t get it on the road until the last of April. So this 500,000 miles was put on the van in about 41 months.

Yes that is approximately $145,000 but on a loaded mile basis, truck expense is less than 30% of gross revenue. Our deadhead per year is approximately 33% of total miles. Hey, we have grandkids in Eastern NC, in WI, the wife’s mother lives in western NC, and we like to be home every weekend (don’t always make it) so what can I say? If we get within 4 to 5 hundred miles of any of these we just might head that way, especially close to a weekend. Plus we are not bashful about putting miles on the van playing tourist until Panther finds us a load. That’s just the lifestyle we have decided to live.

ARK,

I want to clear up the fact that the van doesn’t have a true air ride suspension. The original springs are still there to keep everything in alignment. I have an electric air compressor with pressure switch to keep an air tank between 100 and 120 PSI. I have a pressure regulator so that the air pressure to the air bags are limited to a max of 100 PSI. That’s the max rating by the bag manufactor. I have a height control valve on each side. These automatically keep the front to back pitch the same as well as side to side. Most of the rear empty van weight is carried by the airbags. Helps the ride some, but I really like the fact that a heavy load doesn’t make the rear sag. Also have an air quick disconnect on each side of van so I can air up tires or blow trash out of the van when I want to. Very handy.

Something else I would like to make clear. The $50.00 per hour I charge against my van for my labor cannot be used for tax purposes. I just use that to get a true picture of my van cost per mile

Dieseldoctor

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had simular good fortune with my 2 vans...coming up to the million mark total of both...goes to show that being "in sinc" with your van-truck pays off...take care of the little things and everything falls into line...PM-PM-PM...never have enough

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Another update on the Dream van. It now has over 641,000 miles on it. Had to spend some money at about 634,000 miles. A strip of metal about 3/8" wide and two inches long and about .080 thick peeled off the surface of the right front brake rotor where the pads wear. Looks like it may have been where the hard surfacing stopped penetrating. Anyway since I was going to have to replace that rotor I went hog wild, LOL. I replaced all four rotors, all pads again, all wheel bearings,all wheel seals and new parking brake shoes. Total cost of about $1000.00 using genuine Ford parts. The pads that I installed at 385,000 miles were still fine so if the rotor hadn't peeled they would have ran on.

Also at about 560,000 miles a shock mounting stud broke so I installed new front shocks. Road salt had eaten the stud to about half it's original size. About the same time Michelin was replacing my tires under warranty and insisted on having a front end alignment done even though the wear pattern was beautiful. Front end had .3 degrees positive camber which is within specs, but I had them reset it to .5 degrees which is what I run. They inspected complete front and rear suspension. Original ball joints, tie rod ends, I-beam and drag link bushings and rear spring bushings were all still good.

As I stated in the original post I replace my tires every winter and so far Michelin has picked up enough of the tab so it costs me anywhere from $297.00 to $360.00 out the door for all four. No complaint there.

Swapped out alt again just for safety sake. Will do another fuel pump soon. Keep forgetting to order it, LOL.

Aileron: Yes the fuel was included in my cost per mile figures. With the higher price of fuel and the above stated repairs my cost per mile for this year is at $0.314.

Just because I was curious I priced a engine and trans at my Ford dealer. $3500.00 for engine and $1500.00 for trans. If they install them, Ford gives a good warranty so I will probably let them do it if I ever need either one.

Again I say, THANK YOU, MR. FORD

Dieseldoctor