Greetings from Northern Virginia!

SpiritBear

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello there EO folks!
I'm new to this and honestly a bit anxious about posting because I've been reading a lot and people don't seem very friendly, but here goes:
I'm in the process of purchasing a Ram Promaster 2500 extended WB van (159") and I have set myself up with some companies to talk with them about what they have to offer. I'm a truck driver and my company has been offering me a lease-purchase and the $$$$ just doesn't make sense to me for that, so I started looking into expediting in a van. I think I will enjoy it a lot more and that there is the potential for decent money, although according to all the threads I'm reading there is no money in it at all! Anyway, "Hi' and I wish everyone the best that life has to offer. :peace:
Love & Light,
Kelley

Reactions: John49

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Greetings from Manassas! Where I'm picking up a load in the morning in Bristow going to northeast New Jersey. I've spent the last week and a half delivering Nats World Series t-shirts in few around the District, northern VA and MD. If I never see 495 or especially 395 again I'll be happy. I'm tired of driving by the Pentagon. I'm tired of seeing the Jefferson Memorial look like it's getting hair plugs. I don't know how people live and work around there without becoming crazy.

If you're reading a lot here, you know that expediting is not like general trucking, and you know you're going to sit. A lot. You aren't going to do 3000 miles a week, you'll do good to get half that. If you're mentally prepared for that, you'll do fine.

SpiritBear

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I know, the driving up here is a nightmare isn't it?! LOL!
(GO NATS!!!)
I'm good with sitting and I'm good with driving. The thing i think that I really like is that in a van I'll actually be able to see some stuff while I sit other than the inside of a truckstop of OC! I just want to make "enough" not get rich. I want less "stuff" and more peace. I feel this is the right move, and I hope it works out. How long have you been in this Turtle?

SpiritBear

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
That's awesome. Obviously it has worked out well for you since you're still at it. What is your best advice for a newbie like me?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's awesome. Obviously it has worked out well for you since you're still at it. What is your best advice for a newbie like me?
Insulate and outfit the van like you're going to live in it, because you are. But don't encroach on cargo space. Nothing more lame at a shipper than having to move a bunch of your personal crap out of the way in order to put freight in there.

Become anal about maintenance. Stay on top of it, replace things before they fail. Keep in mind that you're going to do, essentially, 5 years worth of maintenance every year.

SpiritBear

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My apologies, I thought that was just a banner ad that popped up. I wasn’t aware that it was an article you were sharing. Thank you for the share and I will read it right now!
Update: great article and I really appreciate it!

Reactions: RoadTime

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My apologies, I thought that was just a banner ad that popped up. I wasn’t aware that it was an article you were sharing. Thank you for the share and I will read it right now!
Update: great article and I really appreciate it!
Ah, got cha. I guess it could be mistaken for a pop up ad.

The rule of thirds is probably the best rule, imo.

SpiritBear

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My on the road living expenses are pretty low and my off the road living expenses are almost nonexistent. It will make it easy to follow that rule and then some. My hope is to pay the van off early and save myself a little bit on interest since the interest rate is fairly low anyway. I only have one kiddo left at home and he’s in college so it’s just feeding me and my dog and putting money towards my parcel of land in West Texas:justcux6:

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greetings from Manassas! Where I'm picking up a load in the morning in Bristow going to northeast New Jersey. I've spent the last week and a half delivering Nats World Series t-shirts in few around the District, northern VA and MD. If I never see 495 or especially 395 again I'll be happy. I'm tired of driving by the Pentagon. I'm tired of seeing the Jefferson Memorial look like it's getting hair plugs. I don't know how people live and work around there without becoming crazy.

If you're reading a lot here, you know that expediting is not like general trucking, and you know you're going to sit. A lot. You aren't going to do 3000 miles a week, you'll do good to get half that. If you're mentally prepared for that, you'll do fine.
I'm based (live in Baltimore) here and hate driving in the DC/NOVA/BALT area. Road rage is the worst I've ever seen anywhere. I guess people are kinda crazy around here o_O

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm based (live in Baltimore) here and hate driving in the DC/NOVA/BALT area. Road rage is the worst I've ever seen anywhere. I guess people are kinda crazy around here o_O
Yes, they are.
I live in western KY, but I go where the freight goes, so it doesn't matter.

I was picking up shirts in Lanham, Arlington, and up in Curtis Bay.

Reactions: SpiritBear