Gps

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Just bought a Garmin 465T at a good price. It worked out great in Bronx and Brooklyn. Where I have been working. I have a 13-2 box and set for 13-6. The good feature is that I can also convert to auto for when I am in a or car..
for the price First GPS I owned for truck(always used car) Free lifetime map and traffic..

Just thought I would share in case anyone looking for a dual GPS. at a good price..

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Just bought a Garmin 465T at a good price. It worked out great in Bronx and Brooklyn. Where I have been working. I have a 13-2 box and set for 13-6. The good feature is that I can also convert to auto for when I am in a or car..
for the price First GPS I owned for truck(always used car) Free lifetime map and traffic..

Just thought I would share in case anyone looking for a dual GPS. at a good price..

Did you buy it online or a store? Price?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Garmin 465 LMT. If it has one glaring fault, it would have to be that it is incapable of re-routing around traffic jams. It's addicted to the notion that the only acceptable route is the Interstate, even when two semis and three cars have got into an accident that completely closes the Interstate for hours.

Example: A few weeks back, the very thing I just mentioned: Huge accident, Northbound lanes of I-65 at Rensellar, Indiana. I was headed from London, Ohio to the Chicago area. Look at the map on your trusty road atlas, and you can see that getting off at US 52 and taking that North gets you around the problem. Garmin can't see that, it fought me the whole time because it wanted to head for the traffic jam.

Today: I had a run from Elk Grove Village to Salem, Illinois. There is construction on Interstate 57 at Bourbonais that is making a royal mess of things, and the backups get fierce because of squeezing down to one lane. The smart thing to do is to get off at exit #322, go west to US 45/52 and take that South through Kankakee to Rte 17, then jog down-- staying on 45/52-- and enter Interstate 57 again at the 308 mile marker. Think Garmin can figure that out??? Not a chance. After several "reroute" attempts--- it knew about the heavy traffic from the moment I left Elk Grove-- it tried its best to get stuck in the traffic jam. Even after I manually re-routed, Garmin fought me because it wanted to get back to the traffic jam.

This thing has a warning system that is supposed to help it re-route around heavy traffic, and so far I am massively unimpressed with it.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This may seem obvious, but under avoidances, do you have traffic checked?

Yes, traffic is checked. So is "U-turns"-- and you don't want to know how many times it has instructed me to make a U-turn in wildly inappropriate places. Sometimes this can be a real hoot.

I fear for some of you youngsters who have never done it the old-fashioned way, with paper maps and sometimes just using the end of your thumb, and have to use GPS because you never knew anything else. I could work around these problems because I've done it before and those routes are NOT total unknowns. An out-of towner coming through the area depending solely on GPS for navigation is sorta stuck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I know my Garmin re-routes around traffic very differently depending on whether it is set for "truck" or "car." But in either case, if it feels you will lose less time staying in the traffic jam than by going around it, it'll keep you in the traffic. For example, if it thinks you have a 3-minute delay due to traffic, and it calculates that avoiding the traffic will cost you 5 minutes, it'll pick the 3 minute delay.

The real problems come into play when it thinks an actual 45 minute delay is only going to be 3 minutes, or when it thinks there's some massive delay ahead when in reality it's been cleaned up and is moving smoothly with no delay at all. I've had mine screaming at me to get off at every exit to go around a construction delay when at 0230 there is no delay at all.

It's only as accurate as the traffic data it is being fed from its traffic sources. I've found that at times it can be very accurate, and at other times it's just retarded. Obtaining additional information via the CB is often the best way to predict the accuracy of the Garmin's traffic system, especially in more rural areas where the Garmin won't even receive traffic information.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Well I am a map person also have not had a gps untill 2009. but still keep atlas. for emergencys. Since mostly deal with city driving, I feel this would be best for me.First update took 8 hours update right after I bought it. plan too update at least 1 x a month.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I used to be a map person. After I got my Garmin I still carried around my Trucker's Atlas for four years. Never used it once in all that time. Finally got rid of the dead weight. If I needed a map I would use Streets and Trips, or now usually, Google Maps.