GPS SYSTEM

markafd

Expert Expediter
I recommend and also use in all my trucks the magellan 700 best price I ever found was at cartoys.com comes preloaded with U.S. and most of canada never been lost in over a year since placed in service.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the copilot truck version 4 and it's an ok system that needs a few significant changes to make it a great system. Here are the things that I would address/change:

The USB connector is fine when stationary but for a moving and significantly bouncing vehicle there needs to be a serial connector that can be screwed into the pc connector so it doesn't come loose.

There needs to be a rewrite that prevents the pointer from being repositioned unless it is going off the screen. I say that because the user can position the pointer and surrounding map the way they want to view it on the screen and it will randomly move on it's own. That is very annoying when you want to see a certain view and it won't stay as you position it. This is the biggest problem I have with the system and it seriously infuriates me when it thinks I don't know what I want to see.

Sometimes it will tell you to take ramp to I-## North when you are going south. The screen shows you going south and shows the correct ramp to take but the stated direction is opposite. Also, recently in Atlanta it said take 285 south and all the signage coming in on 75 says either 285 east or 285 west so some roads need to be renamed to match the signage.

One positive to it is it can be set to use only 53' routes. I keep mine set that way. I also like that it recalculates instantly if you make a wrong turn so you get back on track quickly.

Considering how furious it makes me when it moves the map after I've positioned it just the way I want it I'd give it a 4 on a scale of 1-10. Taking that out of the mix I'd give it an 8-8.5.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use the Garmin 2620. It works great. Has turn by turn directions and will keep track of your moving and non moving time,mileage,max speed. It is accurate 99% of the time. I find it very helpfull in finding truck stops , and other points of intrest. I purchase them at Best Buy.

theLurker

Expert Expediter
For the CoPilot Truck... do you have to buy the complete PCMiler package or does the 429.00 package contain everything?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
garmin 2610 from tvnav.com is about 955.00 and sometimes has a rebate
is cheapest i've seen
when ordering it ask them to load card and they will do that for free
and ask for non gramin ant that is 25 dollars instead of over 99 dollars

they will take comcheck, regular check (will have to clear )
also can buy on installment plan when you make last payment will send you the unit
and is cheaper than 2620

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It includes everything you need.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
>I need to buy a GPS system. Can someone till me a good
>system to buy...

I just purchased PC Miler's Co Pilot. 399.00 us with USB GPS Reciever. It's being shipped to Saskatoon,SK where I'll be picking it up in a few days. I have Garmin NRoute GPS but it's set up for cars. It not exactly what I needed as it will not route for Hazmat let alone for Low Bridges. Streets and Trips is sort of OK, but in the same boat as Garmin. They take a lot of memory. RAM. My PC locked up with Streets and Trip. Gramin will keep running. Lately my GPS reciever was guitting. It would loose the GPS Driver and quit working just when I need it's info.

Don

OTR and Still doing it 1999
10 years Highway Coach/School bus Handi Van
5 years Couier/Expeding
GMC Van

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]