GPS for Truck

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nope. But can advise you do a search on the subject (especially on the Tech forum) to read what's already been said about it. Then you can decide for yourself what you'd consider to be "the best" GPS for trucks.

prescat

Expert Expediter
About 6 months ago, I purchased the Garmin 350 which has a truck route setting and so far, it has worked very well. It also has a nice Lithium battery and I can download MP3s in it. The only problem is that they discontinued it, (I think because they wanted to get it off the market so truckers would have to buy a special GPS which was pretty expensive) Anyway, the 350 was originally about 500 dollars, but because it was discontinued, I found one at a Best Buy for 280 dollars. Certain stores might still have some. I had to call the 800 number to find one that was close to where I was that had one left in stock. (Just an FYI, they have different prices at different stores for discontinued stock, but they have to match their low online price). Anyway, as I said, it's been very reliable, and only a few times made truck route or other mistakes. It definitely beats all those years of maps. GPS is great! Good luck!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The truck setting on a Garmin is limited as to what it does for a truck. It'll keep you out of the express lanes on the NJTP, it'll give you routes that keep you on the expressway instead of a 2 lane shortcut, but that's about it. If yours hasn't routed you down a residential street yet, give it time. It will.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
My Garmin has sent me through a city park full of little leaguers in Murfressboro, Tn. My Garmin sent me through a residential street behind the industrial park I was looking for in Florida. And several other times it had me exit the interstate and get back on at the next ramp. But when it put me on Lovejoy St in South Haven, Mi. at 2 o'clock in the morning, it was worth every penny I paid. The police office was even closed. But my Garmin put me right where I needed to be.

prescat

Expert Expediter
Yes Highway, it has made a few mistakes. The one I remember the best was in Fontana Ca. It kept routing me to an address on a private street. (I was almost convinced I was picking up from a home-based business....). Overall though, it's been very good!