Governor

trhoades

Expert Expediter
Hi, all. I was just wondering if anyone new where to go to get a governor put on my second van? I'd like to set the top speed at around 70-75. Has anyone else done this on their vehicles?

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
IIRC, Fords with a PowerStroke can be limited as far as the maximum cruise control speed. In other words, the ECM can be programmed to allow a maximum cruise speed of say, 70mph. If the driver is running at 80mph and set the cruise it will engage and settle back to 70mph. I don't think you can set a maximum road speed.

As far as GM or Dodge/Sprinter, I have no idea.

Rex

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wondering why you would want to? Are you putting a driver in the van and want to keep him out of trouble?

trhoades

Expert Expediter
Yes, I'll be looking to put a driver in it around the first of the year. I don' t have a driver, but I just want to protect the van. It has over 200,000 on it and I don't want someone driving it at 80 or 90.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If putting a driver in your vehicle, and adding the governor is a smart thing to do. If I were going to do so I would set it at 70. I would tell the driver of the van there is one on it, and take him out to show him what it does.

I would also contact my insurance broker and ask if a discount is warranted because of the Gov.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would think you could govern anything with a ECM module. Many government agencies do this on vehicles of different sizes.

Davekc

dukesadog

Expert Expediter
What about Jeb Bush? he's not running for governer next year...you might get a deal on him

Ha!

dukesadog